Nocturnal-only pleco?

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
Hi guys-

I bought a small pleco a while back-around 2 1/2 inches long-and he enjoys staying in the one cave (so far) in my tank. However, that's all he does during the day. He NEVER comes out. The only time he came out was the day I put him in my tank; he also only comes out at night. Is this just normal behavior? Also, do any of you mind throwing me some feeding suggestions? I'm not sure how long he can be sustained by just my tank.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Yeah plecos stay hidden most of the time. What species did you get? That will determine what kinds of food and care it requires.
Some are carnivores or omnivorous. Others are vegetarians.
Most will enjoy a slice of zucchini. Some require wood in their diet.

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
IMG_4052.JPG
Yeah plecos stay hidden most of the time. What species did you get? That will determine what kinds of food and care it requires.
Some are carnivores or omnivorous. Others are vegetarians.
Most will enjoy a slice of zucchini. Some require wood in their diet.
I'm pretty sure I have a Hypostomus Plecostomus. In my fish guide, it says to include a "varied diet that includes plenty of greenstuff." It's a little vague, so if you have some specifics, that would help a lot. Here's a pic:

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
So these are what is referred to as a common pleco. They will eat all sorts of things, left over fish food and algae but you can feed zucchini. Yellow squash. Slice sweet potatoes and carrots. They will eat sinking pellets. Algae pellet and sinking cichlid food.they really like cucumbers too

Last edited:

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Once it gets fully adjusted it will stay out more. They do get really large as well like 24 inches so you should be aware of that.but the largest I have ever seen in an aquarium was more like 18 inches

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store