NTT update

Bertie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
London
What size tank would you recommend for an adult NTT, would it be able to live for life in a 5' x 22" x 21", 120 gallons.

Bertie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
London
What size tank would you recommend for an adult NTT, would it be able to live for life in a 5' x 22" x 21", 120 gallons.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
That tank would work, but I'd say would be about the minimum tank size. Due to bio load, you may be limited to the number of tankmates once it hits the size of the NTT in this thread.

Bertie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
London
That tank would work, but I'd say would be about the minimum tank size. Due to bio load, you may be limited to the number of tankmates once it hits the size of the NTT in this thread.
I was planning to do clown loaches and a DAT, I saw your tank and would love something like that, I know that I probably won't be able to keep the clown loaches for life but I could have them for 5-6 years, do you think that stock would work.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
I was planning to do clown loaches and a DAT, I saw your tank and would love something like that, I know that I probably won't be able to keep the clown loaches for life but I could have them for 5-6 years, do you think that stock would work.
I had the dat FunWow! FunWow! Owns now when it was around 12-13" with 6 (if I remember correctly) clowns and some other stock in a 4x2x2 120 gallon. It worked, but was not ideal. I needed a decent sized midswimmer that could hold it's own with the dat to keep the dat from harassing the clowns. That's where the bio load issue came into play. Once this guy hit 8-9" it really started becoming the boss of the tank. I chose an Oscar as a tankmate. Ultimately it became more work than I cared to deal with. Chose to keep the clowns and sell off the dat. So, yes, that combo would work for several years. But it will most likely become more challenging as the years go on. And having to decide between large clowns or a large NTT that you've grown out, was a pretty damn tough decision for me. Knowing the dat went to a good fish keeper makes it a lot easier.

Bertie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
London
I had the dat FunWow! FunWow! Owns now when it was around 12-13" with 6 (if I remember correctly) clowns and some other stock in a 4x2x2 120 gallon. It worked, but was not ideal. I needed a decent sized midswimmer that could hold it's own with the dat to keep the dat from harassing the clowns. That's where the bio load issue came into play. Once this guy hit 8-9" it really started becoming the boss of the tank. I chose an Oscar as a tankmate. Ultimately it became more work than I cared to deal with. Chose to keep the clowns and sell off the dat. So, yes, that combo would work for several years. But it will most likely become more challenging as the years go on. And having to decide between large clowns or a large NTT that you've grown out, was a pretty damn tough decision for me. Knowing the dat went to a good fish keeper makes it a lot easier.
What do you have with your clowns now, and do you think that my tank will last the clowns for life. Also what tankmates would work with a datnoid in that size tank. Thanks for the help

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
What do you have with your clowns now, and do you think that my tank will last the clowns for life. Also what tankmates would work with a datnoid in that size tank. Thanks for the help
May be worth starting your own thread to get more feedback. But my largest clown is about 10" and roughly 8 years old. They can reach 12"+. My 10" clown in a 5x2x2 150 gallon could ideally use another foot of tank length in my opinion. Now I have an Uaru, flagtail, and filament barbs with my clowns. I think severum, geos, anything with a little size and not overly aggressive would work with the dat. Especially if they grew up together. At least with this dat, the first couple years it was fairly timid. It's that 8-9" mark when the attitude changed. And a side note, be aware that NTT can be pretty stubborn when it comes to pellet training.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Bertie Bertie ...... slippery slimecoat slippery slimecoat knows his stuff. He's been down the road you want to go

Bertie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
London
May be worth starting your own thread to get more feedback. But my largest clown is about 10" and roughly 8 years old. They can reach 12"+. My 10" clown in a 5x2x2 150 gallon could ideally use another foot of tank length in my opinion. Now I have an Uaru, flagtail, and filament barbs with my clowns. I think severum, geos, anything with a little size and not overly aggressive would work with the dat. Especially if they grew up together. At least with this dat, the first couple years it was fairly timid. It's that 8-9" mark when the attitude changed. And a side note, be aware that NTT can be pretty stubborn when it comes to pellet training.
Do you ever regret selling your NTT, as I can't decide between the NTT or the loaches. If you think that the NTT would harass the loaches then I don't know if that combo would work.

Bertie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
London
Do you ever regret selling your NTT, as I can't decide between the NTT or the loaches. If you think that the NTT would harass the loaches then I don't know if that combo would work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store