NTT update

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Do you ever regret selling your NTT, as I can't decide between the NTT or the loaches. If you think that the NTT would harass the loaches then I don't know if that combo would work.
Deciding between my clowns and the NTT was one of the toughest decisions I've had to make in this hobby. I think you'd be fine for many (maybe 5-7?) years. If you start out with a midswimmer that can slightly hold its own like mild mannered cichlids, I don't believe the dat harassing the clowns will be much of an issue. Tank size will eventually become the issue. You're at what I'd consider the very minimum tank size for a NTT or a group of clowns for life. From my past experience, I'd guess you'd get 5-7 years in and be to the point of having to do 2 water changes a week to keep up with the bio load.

Reactions: Bertie

Bertie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
London
Deciding between my clowns and the NTT was one of the toughest decisions I've had to make in this hobby. I think you'd be fine for many (maybe 5-7?) years. If you start out with a midswimmer that can slightly hold its own like mild mannered cichlids, I don't believe the dat harassing the clowns will be much of an issue. Tank size will eventually become the issue. You're at what I'd consider the very minimum tank size for a NTT or a group of clowns for life. From my past experience, I'd guess you'd get 5-7 years in and be to the point of having to do 2 water changes a week to keep up with the bio load.
Thanks for all the help, I think I will go for the dat and clown loaches with some silver dollars, for the first few years and see how with goes from there.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Thanks for all the help, I think I will go for the dat and clown loaches with some silver dollars, for the first few years and see how with goes from there.
I had that combo for a while too lol. It worked til the dat got some size. Then he chased them pretty relentlessly until I put another fish with similar temperament in with him.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
What fish would you recommend to put in with him then
I'd look at some mild mannered cichlids such as uaru, geophagus, severum, chocolate cichlid, true parrot cichlid. Dither fish such as silver dollars worked when I had a cichlid of some sort with the dat. Keep in mind also, this is just my experience with that one particular dat and they can have personalities of their own to an extent.

Bertie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
London
I'd look at some mild mannered cichlids such as uaru, geophagus, severum, chocolate cichlid, true parrot cichlid. Dither fish such as silver dollars worked when I had a cichlid of some sort with the dat. Keep in mind also, this is just my experience with that one particular dat and they can have personalities of their own to an extent.
OK thanks for all the info, I think I have to try and see how my DAT turns out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store