Oddball Books

CichlidKeeper01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2017
Anybody know good books for oddball or less commonly kept fish? Things like freshwater eels and rays, peacock bass, freshwater lionfish, or gar.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Not that I know of, most of the good information is right on here at your fingertips!

Reactions: CichlidKeeper01

CichlidKeeper01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2017
Not that I know of, most of the good information is right on here at your fingertips!
That is kind of what I figured. Been looking but thought I would ask if there was something that i haven't found that had info more concentrated.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Anybody know good books for oddball or less commonly kept fish? Things like freshwater eels and rays, peacock bass, freshwater lionfish, or gar.
This reminds me of way back, before the Internet kicked off. I used to keep piranhas, I got them when I was young and was attracted to the myths that surrounded them. I went out and bought a couple of books about them, still got them somewhere. Nowadays I wouldn't dream of getting a book to research any fish. How times move on.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
By the way young Hendre, what the hell is a "forever waiting". Never heard of that fish!!

CichlidKeeper01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2017
This reminds me of way back, before the Internet kicked off. I used to keep piranhas, I got them when I was young and was attracted to the myths that surrounded them. I went out and bought a couple of books about them, still got them somewhere. Nowadays I wouldn't dream of getting a book to research any fish. How times move on.
I rely mainly on this forum for information, but I like having reference books that I can refer back to.

Reactions: tlindsey

CichlidKeeper01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2017
I think my favorite book I own is Jurassic fishes it talks about all kinds of primitive fish from rays to paddlefish it is a little outdated though.

Also for just rays the two aqualog books are the best I have.

View attachment 1343326
Thanks, I will check it out, even if its outdated. The aqualogs on rays look good, is aqualog still making books? Is there a list of all of aqualogs books somewhere?

Reactions: tlindsey

Cowturtle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2016
Cincinnati
Thanks, I will check it out, even if its outdated. The aqualogs on rays look good, is aqualog still making books? Is there a list of all of aqualogs books somewhere?
I'm not sure about the aqualogs I just got the two on rays off amazon a year ago. Another little bit outdated but still worth it if you're into oddball catfish is the world of catfishes its got tons of pictures on all the different species including woodcats, plecos, corys, lots of weird banjo cats. It even has a small section on keeping candiru.

51S2Z3GTNAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

CichlidKeeper01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2017
I'm not sure about the aqualogs I just got the two on rays off amazon a year ago. Another little bit outdated but still worth it if you're into oddball catfish is the world of catfishes its got tons of pictures on all the different species including woodcats, plecos, corys, lots of weird banjo cats. It even has a small section on keeping candiru.

View attachment 1343327
Thanks, will check that one out. Seems like the book industry is dieing off due to their being so much information available online.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store