Oddball/Predator for 36 gallon bow front

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I absolutely love my hairy puffer. It is very interactive and outgoing with me. When nothing is going on its a lump but always swims around when Im in the room with her.
E814AAD6-8C23-4A13-ADE3-1943306ABD1C.jpeg
My other puffer is an arrowhead. Vicious feeder that responds instantly to the aquarium lid being opened. Not as interactive as my hairy puffer but if you want to watch a big night crawler get ate like something took a chainsaw to it, then perfect fish for that, lol.
2DF3B980-51CA-482D-8FA2-D028CB1E55B8.png
Out of the two the hairy is my favorite and the one I would recommend.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I do like the gudgeons... I may do that with Amazon puffers instead of the cichlid.
I assume I would have to move the loaches if I’m getting the wolf or larger puffers.
I’m aware of the puffer teeth issues, I’ve tried with Amazons in the past but due to my own inexperience and stupidity they died... it would be nice to actually do it right.
I’m probably gonna stay away from brackish for now. I’ll stick with fresh until I have better equipment for a brackish tank...mudskippers are awesome though.
Tetradon murius is too aggressive for tankmates right?
I like the schoutodini but that is a bit out of my price range. Hopefully someday they are more common and cheaper.
Joshuakahan Joshuakahan how would you describe the activity of your wolf? Is it always on the move or more of the sit and do nothing type of fish?

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Tetradon murius are cool but very similar to the arrowhead in that they like to bury themselves in sand and go after prey when it goes by. P PYRU has commented that its like owning a pet rock, lol. That kind of why I like the hairy puffer. It is more of a cave dweller and mine sits out in front of his watching the goings on. But these puffs are all solo fish, likely to eat any other fish tankmates.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I do like the gudgeons... I may do that with Amazon puffers instead of the cichlid.
I assume I would have to move the loaches if I’m getting the wolf or larger puffers.
I’m aware of the puffer teeth issues, I’ve tried with Amazons in the past but due to my own inexperience and stupidity they died... it would be nice to actually do it right.
I’m probably gonna stay away from brackish for now. I’ll stick with fresh until I have better equipment for a brackish tank...mudskippers are awesome though.
Tetradon murius is too aggressive for tankmates right?
I like the schoutodini but that is a bit out of my price range. Hopefully someday they are more common and cheaper.
Joshuakahan Joshuakahan how would you describe the activity of your wolf? Is it always on the move or more of the sit and do nothing type of fish?
My wolf pretty much just sits in wait like he’s waiting to ambush something, but he swims around occasionally or when he’s hungry he’ll greet me at the front. I’d say his activity level is about like my bichirs

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
My wolf pretty much just sits in wait like he’s waiting to ambush something, but he swims around occasionally or when he’s hungry he’ll greet me at the front. I’d say his activity level is about like my bichirs
Kind of reminds me of an interactive leporinus then. Doesn’t do much except for the occasional patrol. He doesn’t greet me though.

Reactions: Joshuakahan

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
T.murius is a lurker ambush predator by nature... So they tend to bury under the substrate and wait for un-suspecting prey to swim over and attack from underneath making them quite dangerous to be kept with anything you dont want to have eaten...

They are as mentioned above quite similar to own pet rocks but still probably not quite as bad as a Palembang that will stay in one spot for over 95-99% of the time...

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
T.murius is a lurker ambush predator by nature... So they tend to bury under the substrate and wait for un-suspecting prey to swim over and attack from underneath making them quite dangerous to be kept with anything you dont want to have eaten...

They are as mentioned above quite similar to own pet rocks but still probably not quite as bad as a Palembang that will stay in one spot for over 95-99% of the time...
This is pretty much what you see, the one in the forefront is the puffer, lol
E8C6E370-2647-4285-A64D-8821F4559067.jpeg

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Here’s a pretty cool puffer I had, they’re pretty small, around two inches. They’re aggressive but you could do a small group in a 36g

Reactions: Deadeye

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
This is pretty much what you see, the one in the forefront is the puffer, lol
View attachment 1452061
Yeah, T.Suvatti and Palembangesis are quite similar... although when i kept my old palembangs they never seemed to burrow even when kept with a fine sand substrate but mine could have been an exception among the species due to all the cover i provided them with...

Reactions: DMD123 and Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store