Oddball/Predator for 36 gallon bow front

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Here’s a pretty cool puffer I had, they’re pretty small, around two inches. They’re aggressive but you could do a small group in a 36g

How are red eyes? Worse than dwarves or better?

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
This is a dwarf red eye, and he was solo, but based on what I read about them and what I saw, these are more aggressive than other dwarf puffers. He was a little glass banger and really attacked his food. I think you could have 3 or 4 in your tank, but only one male.
I kept a true red eye ( not sure on the exact species, he was just listed as a red eye) around 20
years ago and I wouldn’t recommend tank mates for those, he killed everything I tried

Reactions: Deadeye

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
The most common red eyed species is probably C.Irrubessco... although overall there are probably around 4-5 species that fall under the name of red eyed puffers with C.Salivator being the most aggressive of them all if i remember correctly...

C.Irrubessco can be kept in groups of males and females for breeding purposes in which case you might want 1M to 4F to break up aggression issues...

Otherwise a group of males can be kept together as long as enough lines of sight is broken in a heavily decorated tank...

But to answer the aggression issue, i would say C.Irrubessco is probably only slightly more aggressive than your regular dwarf puffer, as even dwarfs will attack and nip the fins of other fish in a tank...

Reactions: Deadeye

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
The most common red eyed species is probably C.Irrubessco... although overall there are probably around 4-5 species that fall under the name of red eyed puffers with C.Salivator being the most aggressive of them all if i remember correctly...

C.Irrubessco can be kept in groups of males and females for breeding purposes in which case you might want 1M to 4F to break up aggression issues...

Otherwise a group of males can be kept together as long as enough lines of sight is broken in a heavily decorated tank...

But to answer the aggression issue, i would say C.Irrubessco is probably only slightly more aggressive than your regular dwarf puffer, as even dwarfs will attack and nip the fins of other fish in a tank...
I can’t be positive but I think the one I had way back wasC. lorteti, I just remember it was about 3” and was taking chunks out of 7-8” fish and dismembered from underneath anything 5” and under. My irrubessco didn’t seem anywhere near as bad and was much smaller

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
C.Lorteti seem quite common among the red eyes, at least in places in the west...

Over in Asia the common species was C.Irrusbessco and on occasion might see C.Lorteti and i had previously only ever see C.Salivator for sale once and kind of kicked myself for not trying them out back then...

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Tank’s too small for exodons right?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Definitely set on either the wolf or Amazon puffers.
Amazon Puffers allow me to have more of a community with lots of activity. Downside is it’s not as much of an aggressive predator.
Wolf is a bad*ss predator that I can grow into a monster and isn’t fussy about water. Downside is it is only active during feedings and I have to catch my loaches to move them.

Random thought: senegal bichir? I would think albino is the only that could fit for life...but albino snes are ugly.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
sens get to large. If you want a predator, why not freshwater sculpin, or prehistoric monster fish?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
That’s what I thought about the sens.
My main concern is activity along with a predator. Characins have always been a favorite of mine.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store