Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Fat Homer Fat Homer 7stories
Im guessing height doesnt bother you too much, so do you think going higher up, such as 50+ stories would freak you out or just be another day at work?

beau1990

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2018
Stanford Kentucky
Fat Homer Fat Homer Eehhhhhh, I've gotten better with the heights, I just try to remember what our ISTS (INDUSTRIAL SAFETY &TRAINING SERVICES) wow sorry about the caps lock to lazy to fix lol. But any way anything over 30ft and you'll most likely die if you fall, granted we did have one dude was working on the roof and was too close to the edge and he fell 7 stories onto gravel and lived (although he was severely busted up as a result) IDK if I'll ever go higher though simply because this is the main thing that my company does, we actually have the corner on this part of the bourbon/aged spirits industry, IMG_20190626_080119.jpg
All of these except for 2 Lids are all bourbon/whiskey companies that we build for

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Rickhouses-R-Us? :idea:

I've been up on high-rise steel and concrete jobs, but just for inspection and observation. I didn't have to work up there.
I used to climb rocks and did lots of rope work in the Rockies, so I was never nervous about the heights.

This is the rock we call Gatorhead in Yosemite. Climbed on it when the ranger was not about, as it's "over the rail".
y36.jpg
It's just a bit higher than this 1905 bronze marker at the edge of Glacier Point.
y35.jpg

It's half a mile straight down to the valley from here.
y31.jpg

The lodge waaaay below, at 8x zoom.
y32.jpg

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Fat Homer Fat Homer Eehhhhhh, I've gotten better with the heights, I just try to remember what our ISTS (INDUSTRIAL SAFETY &TRAINING SERVICES) wow sorry about the caps lock to lazy to fix lol. But any way anything over 30ft and you'll most likely die if you fall, granted we did have one dude was working on the roof and was too close to the edge and he fell 7 stories onto gravel and lived (although he was severely busted up as a result) IDK if I'll ever go higher though simply because this is the main thing that my company does, we actually have the corner on this part of the bourbon/aged spirits industry, View attachment 1389070
All of these except for 2 Lids are all bourbon/whiskey companies that we build for
I hear ya! Thats why i always have so much respect for those that work on high rises coz thats something i could never do...

beau1990

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2018
Stanford Kentucky
Beautiful views out there Ulu Ulu I would love to go to Yosemite again been out there once as a kid

Reactions: Ulu

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Im guessing height doesnt bother you too much, so do you think going higher up, such as 50+ stories would freak you out or just be another day at work?
Never worked in construction before -- though I did sell ice cold Kool-aid to construction workers one summer while in elementary school. I was killing it until the (very nice and apologetic) site Foreman had to put a stop to it due to obvious S&H concerns; at least he was cool enough to let the guys buy all my final supply lol.

But in relation to your question I have jumped from the 61st floor of a building (~765ft) and done similarly from only ~165 ft. Personally I found the shorter height even more intimidating while standing at the edge: the ground is closer and the possible consequences (same in either case as beau1990 alludes) feel all the closer and more real.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I once read a story where this guy wanted to go bungie jumping and got a enough of those bungie cords to just equal the length of the drop of a cliff. They tied them all together then jumped. Splat. He forgot that bungie cords stretch....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store