Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thoughts and prayers to the good people of Minneapolis who have been affected by the rioting over the past few days.
Hopefully no MFKers were harmed.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Thoughts and prayers to the good people of Minneapolis who have been affected by the rioting over the past few days.
Hopefully no MFKers were harmed.
It’s been insane the past few days. I thankfully don’t live in the city but my sister is in a suburb and the looting and rioting is creeping closer and closer to both of us. Her more so then me. Stores local to me are closing because of what’s going on.

It’s very sad that people are doing this and taking the focus off the reason why people are protesting in the first place. My heart goes out to the family George Floyd. This never should have happened.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It’s been insane the past few days. I thankfully don’t live in the city but my sister is in a suburb and the looting and rioting is creeping closer and closer to both of us. Her more so then me. Stores local to me are closing because of what’s going on.

It’s very sad that people are doing this and taking the focus off the reason why people are protesting in the first place. My heart goes out to the family George Floyd. This never should have happened.
Things have been hot and heavy here in Philadelphia....a large section of the downtown shopping area has been under attack by looters and a curfew has now been imposed. We shall see how that goes.
If you want to behave like an animal then you should be put down like one and that is all I am going to say on the topic of the looters.
No arguments from me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Great news!

Space X launch went off without a problem!!
Finally some good news this year.
As for the protests, they have lost any sympathy for their cause from me now. I'm not always a fan of the police or politicians but acting the way they have has taken focus off what they are angry about and makes them look like out of control thugs.
It' looks like it's not about justice for the victim now but just needless destruction and theft. From the outside of the US it looks like things are going to get a lot worse before they get better, also wondering if they have forgoabout corona? They will be spreading it among themselves very well at the moment. Hopefully they won't burn down the hospitals too.
Stay safe anyone who is near any of the riots.

Reactions: skjl47

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
We are far from potential looting targets, and don't worry for ourselves.
But the future will change more than we thought.
Our grandkids will be shopping on Amazon.
It'll be the only place still open.

It's a real shame that the reporters cannot distinguish between rioters and protesters.
Protesters don't destroy things out of anger.
Burning a car isn't a protest. It's a felony. 5 to 10 if convicted.

Reporters are not harmless.
(The pen being mightier than the sword.)
Rioters are trying to trash CNN HQ.
I'll bet they understand better now, the diff between protests and riots.
It becomes very clear when it's on your doorstep.

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Some things I understand. One is the police officer who knelt on Mr. Floyd's neck did a wrong thing. Should be also a very illegal thing. I do no see any way to justify his actions. I understand why he has been arrested and why he has been charged with murder. He will face the legal system in court or make a plea. He likely will serve serious time. That is the way our society has chosen to deal with the bad behavior of an individual. One more thing I understand is why people are unhappy about what happened to Mr. Floyd. I have seen the videos. Mr. Floyd did not appear to be resisting any of the officers. I can understand why people want to protest.

Among things I do not understand are the riots taking place in so many cities. Last I heard some level of disturbance in 40 or more places. I use the term riot her because that is what they appear to be. Not protests anymore even if that is how some wish to label what is going on. To me in a protest a crowd can shout, hold up signs, give passionate speeches and make demands. In a riot people burn, loot and injure other people or their property. There have been shootings and at least one death from a shooting. A large number of business have been destroyed . Some of these business people have lost everything and at least a number did not have insurance.

I also only partially understand why the authorities are not trying to stop these riots. If it truly is a lack of manpower in some places, that makes sense. However in the news feeds I have seen the police and other authorities are not trying to do much. The police should not stop a peaceful protest, but should a riot be allowed to happen night after night?

Reactions: Ogertron3000

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
It becomes very clear when it's on your doorstep.
Hello; I live about 50 miles from a big city, Knoxville TN. I have not heard of any riots there yet. I am in a rural area. I do not expect any trouble at my house, but do have a notion of what I will try if someone wants to burn my house.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Hello; Some things I understand. One is the police officer who knelt on Mr. Floyd's neck did a wrong thing. Should be also a very illegal thing. I do no see any way to justify his actions. I understand why he has been arrested and why he has been charged with murder. He will face the legal system in court or make a plea. He likely will serve serious time. That is the way our society has chosen to deal with the bad behavior of an individual. One more thing I understand is why people are unhappy about what happened to Mr. Floyd. I have seen the videos. Mr. Floyd did not appear to be resisting any of the officers. I can understand why people want to protest.

Among things I do not understand are the riots taking place in so many cities. Last I heard some level of disturbance in 40 or more places. I use the term riot her because that is what they appear to be. Not protests anymore even if that is how some wish to label what is going on. To me in a protest a crowd can shout, hold up signs, give passionate speeches and make demands. In a riot people burn, loot and injure other people or their property. There have been shootings and at least one death from a shooting. A large number of business have been destroyed . Some of these business people have lost everything and at least a number did not have insurance.

I also only partially understand why the authorities are not trying to stop these riots. If it truly is a lack of manpower in some places, that makes sense. However in the news feeds I have seen the police and other authorities are not trying to do much. The police should not stop a peaceful protest, but should a riot be allowed to happen night after night?
I have my suspicions as to why the police have been "handcuffed" in dealing with the looters but expressing them would mean veering into political talk so I will leave them where they are.
I feel bad for the poor fellow in Minneapolis who was arrested after he shot a looter in defense of his property.The police didn't seem to do much to the rioters but they swooped in and dealt with people trying to defend their livlihoods.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store