Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Hello; I happen to agree with this comment. One of my neighbors has a dog i like and keep milkbone biscuits for.
.....my previous mail carrier would bring treats for my dog,he looked forward to it but the new carrier hasn't gotten around to that yet.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
my previous mail carrier would bring treats for my dog,he looked forward to it but the new carrier hasn't gotten around to that yet.
The relationship between dogs and postmen has been a torrid one since time began!

I suspect your wise original postman learnt the hard way in his early career that carrying dog treats would make the job a whole lot less stressful, lol.

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The relationship between dogs and postmen has been a torrid one since time began!

I suspect your wise original postman learnt the hard way in his early career that carrying dog treats would make the job a whole lot less stressful, lol.
Agreed...on both points.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
. I was a Boy Scout and later an Eagle Scout. Fortunately, the troop leaders I knew did not molest us.
That is fortunate.

Do you guys know why this has happened yet?
I was in the aussie equivalent when i was a kid, fortunately not molested either. I do wonder what parents were thinking though, they send a bunch of 11 year olds off for a weekend to sleep in a cabin with some fat guy with a beard they barely know and only see briefly twice a week when they drop you off and pick you up from scouts. People must have been much more trusting in the old days.
I enjoyed the experience, in the end a lot of kids dropped out of our and another group so they merged into one and i was stripped of my rank. I had a tantrum when i got home and quit.

I will be amused if it is a woke gender thing (i wouldnt like the idea personally) but people get more outraged about that than the decades of abuse and sodomy that went on.

Reactions: koltsixx

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
From the link. "The announcement comes five years after the organization began including girls into scout programs. The organization said it has more than 176,000 girls in its programs, including 6,000 who have earned the rank of Eagle Scout."

Hello; Seems the name change makes a sort of sense. Smacks of economics to a degree as well. Back when I was 11 or 12 years old having girls in Troop 32 would not have appealed to me at all. By the time i was an Explorer scout I likely would have changed my mind.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
From the link. "The announcement comes five years after the organization began including girls into scout programs. The organization said it has more than 176,000 girls in its programs, including 6,000 who have earned the rank of Eagle Scout."

Hello; Seems the name change makes a sort of sense. Smacks of economics to a degree as well. Back when I was 11 or 12 years old having girls in Troop 32 would not have appealed to me at all. By the time i was an Explorer scout I likely would have changed my mind.
.....did the Boy Scouts ever sell cookies or anything else?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I suspect economics played a very large part, with regards to the inclusion of non boys.

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
.....did the Boy Scouts ever sell cookies or anything else?
Hello; I do not recall how funds were acquired. Parents paid some for three weeks of summer camp at Camp Sequoyia on Norris Lake. Do not think we sold cookies or any such.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I suspect economics played a very large part, with regards to the inclusion of non boys.
I agree with most things you say but in this regard, I think it's more along what Ogertron3000 Ogertron3000 said, political. I'll try to skirt the subject to avoid a political debate or discussion as per our TOS but I think the motivation is the same as it's been in all similar moves in sports such as weightlifting, swimming, etc which is all-inclusiveness. My opinion on the motivation behind the all-inclusiveness I'll digress on.

I too was a boycout and enjoyed the experience matter of fact my Mom was a Co-Troop Girl Scout Leader with her friend for my sister. I think it was a positive experience as the motivation to get badges, recognition, cooperation and respect shaped a lot of my most positive personality traits. For instance, my Father believed in a do just enough to get by when it comes to work so as not to become someone that's asked more of, but I couldn't help myself my Mother and the boyscouts had instilled in me to always do my best. One could argue that he was right as I was given many paper certificate awards but was passed over for promotions that would improve my pay if it didn't also garner more for the company. So, I was always getting more responsibility with no monetary gains until I was laid off when I broke my back which took all of a week for me to get the axe. Still, I take some solace in that to this day and while it is often a struggle to not compromise my own personal morals and ideals. To respect myself even if often times the world won't.

Forgive the large amount of text, I've always been a motor mouth and please forgive the whiny self-righteousness as I get older I complain more and perhaps I'm getting an over inflated sense of self.

Reactions: skjl47
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store