One more try - Another Amaira

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
All plumbing run and tank is filling up. Plumbing into the tank is leak free, but need it to fill to test plumbing coming out. Won't get aimara into the tank today like I wanted to but hopefully in next couple days.

IMG_2156.JPG IMG_2157.JPG IMG_2158.JPG

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Sup buddy, appreciate the holler. I've been alright, been more focused on work and business. Will get more back in the hobby in due time. As for your question, I believe large imports is the way to go to get max size aimaras. The big boys that are 3ft+ are all imported at that size. I have yet to see one grown from small that has caught up to the sizes of those wild beasts.

Reactions: moe214

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Sup buddy, appreciate the holler. I've been alright, been more focused on work and business. Will get more back in the hobby in due time. As for your question, I believe large imports is the way to go to get max size aimaras. The big boys that are 3ft+ are all imported at that size. I have yet to see one grown from small that has caught up to the sizes of those wild beasts.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Thank you for the response. That is what I figured. I think it is a rare scenario where fish grow to the same size as in the wild especially for these larger predators.

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
i hope i can get mine to 2 feet at least . that would probably be about perfect size for me . much more manageable for long term tank size . and even a 2 foot amaria would be a pretty impressive fish

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
i hope i can get mine to 2 feet at least . that would probably be about perfect size for me . much more manageable for long term tank size . and even a 2 foot amaria would be a pretty impressive fish
Any wolf above 18" looks impressive to me, that's when they get real girthy

Reactions: peter predtank

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Two feet is definitely reachable. Earlier this year I had my aimara and mala(maybe australis) pass away. They were both just over 40cm long and thick as my forearm. From two feet to three feet will take some years... then from three feet to the meter plus big boys... idk

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Finally got Drogon into the tank tonight. Did a quick transfer and need to find time this weekend to optimize placement of heaters, wires, etc. Excited to start feeding him properly again and see how he grows with this autodrip.

One concern is my drip emitter seems to be off. Probably dripping like 90gpd right now instead of the planned 48. Will try and solve that in the coming days.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Well he is doing well. Got him eating silversides and freeze dried krill last night. He had not eaten for awhile so I tried some pellets and he still just spits them out. He has refused carni sticks and bio gold at this stage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store