One more try - Another Amaira

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Finally got my sample of Hikaris massivore. He swallowed and then spit them out. I will try to starve him again before I try a second time. Love how he pays attention to me. I honestly think he knows I am the feeder as he reacts everytime I come into his room. I also use a special plate for his food and once he sees that he comes out automatically. Now if he will just take pellets.

Only thing annoying me right now is that I have chloramines in my water. Looks like my filter for the autodrip is working but a byproduct of chloramines is increased ammonia which is showing on my ammonia alert. I was hoping the filtration would catch up quickly, but it still has not. The ammonia is low levels but I am worried about prolonged exposure.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Wolves are tough but agreed the prolonged exposure will take a toll. I know nothing about auto drip systems other than their function so I can't be if any assistance. kno4te kno4te may know more. Will tag some others who may know more.

DB junkie DB junkie thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Charney Charney i know you have a drip with chloramine removal. Did you deal with initial ammonia readings at all?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Finally got my sample of Hikaris massivore. He swallowed and then spit them out. I will try to starve him again before I try a second time. Love how he pays attention to me. I honestly think he knows I am the feeder as he reacts everytime I come into his room. I also use a special plate for his food and once he sees that he comes out automatically. Now if he will just take pellets.

Only thing annoying me right now is that I have chloramines in my water. Looks like my filter for the autodrip is working but a byproduct of chloramines is increased ammonia which is showing on my ammonia alert. I was hoping the filtration would catch up quickly, but it still has not. The ammonia is low levels but I am worried about prolonged exposure.
What's your pH? If it is ~6 or 6.5 then low level ammonia is actually locked in the non-toxic ammonium NH4+ form.

A higher dose of Prime and other conditioners detoxifies ammonia, per label. So does Ammo-Lock - you'd need a tiny tiny amount I imagine. AFAIK, both do it the same way by locking NH3 into NH4+.

I don't deal with this as I am on my own well water. I am sure people know how to. wednesday13 wednesday13

Reactions: moe214

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter good to see you posting and hopefully you made out well. My ph is high around 7.6 so I'm not that fortunate. Need to figure something out soon.

Will say that I love the drip. After feeding daily for weeks and not doing anything other than the drip my nitrates are only 10ppm. Never had it that low before. Always stayed at like 25ppm. :)

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Charney Charney i know you have a drip with chloramine removal. Did you deal with initial ammonia readings at all?
I do not get any ammonia readings from my tap water now

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Well this guy is really starting to piss me off with pellet training. Starved him a week and tossed in some massivore. He takes and spits them back out. I soak all of his food in vitachem so I even soaked them in vitachem to try and give a similar taste and soften them up. No luck.

Maybe I am doing something wrong but he seems to be a bit picky for a wolf. He loves silversides and that the majority of his diet right now. I also give him krill. He refused shrimp multiple times, cant get him to take pellets, and cod fillets is a hit or miss. I have not tried cod recently so I will try it again though. I really want him to have a mixed healthy diet and I think just silversides and krill does not get him there.

I am also torn with starving him because I love watching him bulk up and you can see how much he grows when feeding daily versus starving for 1-2 weeks.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I get your frustration. Honestly what I do when starving fish is pay less attention to the tank. You only have one fish so you have to pay less attention. But I'd occupy myself with other things. And make time for wc and feeding both once a week. After a month then I'd say give in. Wolves are weird eaters as you know from reading when around 1' it seems all species go in prolonged fasting periods of a couple of months. Obviously your guy isn't doing so but keep in mind starving him one month does no harm.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Now that the tank is an auto drip. I literally do nothing, at least for the last month or so. I am just very careful to feed slowly so I don't deal with excess food in the tank. Need to start using some of probiotic to eat away at waste in the substrate.

My goal is to try and grow this guy as big as I can and I wanted to get that growth quickly. I think I just need some patience and get this guy onto a pellet so that he long term health and grow is better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store