Opinions on adding a Flagtail

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
ATM The Wet Spot is sold out, maybe they got some in this week. They update the list late tonight or Saturday morning so there's that.
I really like Betsey, she is always busy grazing on something. She even cleans the roots of the water lettuce without damaging them. As far as feeding her I give her NLS algeamax, she also eats a little NLS Ultra Red, Bug Bites and if she is fast enough occasionally a carnivore pellet ment for the catfish.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I assure you our Flagtails are exactly the same species, Semaprochilodus taeniurus -- the other one is S. insignis, which has less black dots on its side, which will disappear when it gets older, unlike S. taeniurus as MrsE88 mentions.

Here is a S. insignis:
View attachment 1355101

These also have less black coloration in the ring behind the gill plates. The difference in red between my and Jexnell's fishes' anal fins is solely due to tank lighting and/or camera setting difference, reds don't show up very well in my yellow-ish tank.

Any tiny difference in the dorsal or tail fins is due to either age difference or perhaps slight regional variance.
Thanks for this. I was thinking the differences may just be age/catch location thing. Mine is about 4in long now.

Reactions: islandguy11

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
What size of tank? They look cute when small, but they can easily reach over a foot in length, and they become large powerful swimmers when mature.
I did see that in past posts on here some were saying theirs hit 18”.
Getting close to that size I’d be looking at a 24” x 6’-7’ tank. If that would be too small then I’d have to rehome. Growth is slow after they hit 7”, isn’t it?

But while it’s small my 18” x 6’ would be its home till it can be in the pond.

Does that sound reasonable, or not worth it?

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Mine is in a 6ft 125gal. Has a H. Carpintis, Lima Shovelnose, PTC, and Four line pim as tankmates.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
islandguy11 islandguy11 Thank you for the clarification. Since both yours and Jexnell Jexnell ’s are juvis I couldn’t tell what kinds they were.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I would not keep one in a 125, due to their adult size, and activity level. That, and once they reach larger sizes they tend to become quite aggressive at feeding. Not vicious, just real pigs. Not really interested in algae when a foot long. I think my friends was in his 250, and even in a tank that size it didn't work out for him. Beautiful fish, no question about that. Good luck with your decision.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I would not keep one in a 125, due to their adult size, and activity level. That, and once they reach larger sizes they tend to become quite aggressive at feeding. Not vicious, just real pigs. Not really interested in algae when a foot long. I think my friends was in his 250, and even in a tank that size it didn't work out for him. Beautiful fish, no question about that. Good luck with your decision.
That’s a bummer to hear.
If they take a few years to hit 12” I’d still be leaning towards getting one, but I’d hate to part with it within a year or two:/
Do you happen to know how fast they grow?

As disappointing as it may be I’d much rather find this all out now so I’m not walking myself into trouble or heartache. I really appreciate the feedback.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Mine is in a 6ft 125gal. Has a H. Carpintis, Lima Shovelnose, PTC, and Four line pim as tankmates.
Not to nit pick, but that group isn't a good long term plan either, certainly not a realistic example for adult sizes.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I honestly don't recall at what rate his grew, but it seemed to gain growth fairly steadily, as the larger it grew the more food it pounded back at each feeding. lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store