Opinions on adding a Flagtail

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I honestly don't recall at what rate his grew, but it seemed to gain growth fairly steadily, as the larger it grew the more food it pounded back at each feeding. lol
Hmm.
I’ll try digging around more and see if I can find anyone that’s tracked their growth. I may just have to admire them from afar.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Mine is in a quite under-stocked 96"X30"X30" (375g), just him and his good buddy a 4.5" young Datnoid -- if there were more fish in there he might be more jumpy, I couldn't say, but so far (knock on wood) he has never demonstrated any jumping at all (and I leave the tank lid open for a good amount of time while cleaning or feeding). When I say he's skittish it's just once in a while and just for a second or two, and he just darts either way for a second, but not really up.

As RD mentions, they get pretty darn big and they grow quite fast (cuz they're eating all the time lol) -- I've personally never read about them slowing down after 7", not sure if this is true or not, will let you know as mine is just about 7" now but still growing like a weed.

I've had him about 4 months, since he was about 3.5", so nearly 1" per month growth rate up to now.

Last edited:
Reactions: RD. and MrsE88

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Not to nit pick, but that group isn't a good long term plan either, certainly not a realistic example for adult sizes.
This is not my long-term plan. The extras are all in with the Carpintis atm due to my Saggitae are breeding. I was going to let them spawn a couple times them rehome the female Saggitae. At that point I am going to split up the extras. Flagtail and Pim are moving to the other 125. The Lima and PTC will stay in with the Carpintis. So each tank will have about 3ft of fish.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Mine is in a quite under-stocked 96"X30"X30" (375g), just him and his good buddy a 4.5" young Datnoid -- if there were more fish in there he might be more jumpy, I couldn't say, but so far (knock on wood) he has never demonstrated any jumping at all (and I leave the tank lid open for a good amount of time while cleaning or feeding). When I say he's skittish it's just once in a while and just for a second or two, and he just darts either way for a second, but not really up.

As RD mentions, they get pretty darn big and they grow quite fast (cuz they're eating all the time lol) -- I've personally never read about them slowing down after 7", not sure if this is true or not, will let you know as mine is just about 7" now but still growing like a weed.

I've had him about 4 months, since he was about 3.5", so nearly 1" per month growth rate up to now.
Mind keeping me updated as it grows?
An inch a month is pretty fast growth. I’ll just hold off for now. No reason I need to run off and get one. I’d just really like one. Lol, but that’s a bad excuse.
For now it will be on my dream list.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Mind keeping me updated as it grows?
An inch a month is pretty fast growth. I’ll just hold off for now. No reason I need to run off and get one. I’d just really like one. Lol, but that’s a bad excuse.
For now it will be on my dream list.
Sure will, though bear in mind I live in a very hot country with daily (and nightly) water temps of avg. about 84F -- I think it's natural fish will grow kinda fast here due to higher metabolic rates requiring more food consumption (though on the other hand it's arguable they might not live as long).

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Sure will, though bear in mind I live in a very hot country with daily (and nightly) water temps of avg. about 84F -- I think it's natural fish will grow kinda fast here due to higher metabolic rates requiring more food consumption (though on the other hand it's arguable they might not live as long).
Thank you.
That is something to keep in mine, you’re right. For the better part of the year my tanks are around 74-76.
I definitely got better growth from my fish at 82f.

Reactions: islandguy11

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Why not get a couple Central stonerollers? They do eat algae, are fairly peaceful, and can be thrown with the koi when they get bigger

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I think I have the perfect fish idea for you: striped headstander! Get around 6.5- 7 inches, eat algae, and is similar in appearance to flagtails
That’s not a bad suggestion. Not the stunner that a Flagtail is, but it would be a fish that would serve a purpose and they are kinda cute little guys.
My only worry is the fin nipping.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Hey islandguy11 islandguy11 how is your flagtail doing? Any guess on how much it’s grown in the past 4 months?

I still haven’t made any decision on an algae eater yet. I seem to have two sides. Jump in without thinking, or pondering for months on end. Lol
I’m happy to say I’m getting better at the pondering part when it comes to fish. Granted, my terror tank needing a seal job definitely slowed things down.

I’m just revisiting this idea because I have a few things in the works.

Reactions: Manning99 and RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store