Also kept some... i think lol

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683
Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86

How long do you guys think it could live in the 125 ?
About 2yrs ill say, maybe more, all fish not equal on growth rate, i have mine about 2 yrs now still 9”-10” and when i bought that it was 4”. It eats pellets and frozen food for my bichirs and aro so its not lacking in food but in my exp. they grow pretty slow.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Don’t worry about it growing to a foot. Most people will pay good money to obtain foot long flagtail from you. 125 is sufficient for a flagtail.

That kinda depends where you live amigo. The owner of the fish above sat on it for a while, and he was basically giving it away. And he lives in a major city, that has a lot of hobbyists, that own a lot of big tanks. And not sure how anyone can look at the fish above and state that a 125 is sufficient for a flagtail? They don't just get large, they are an active fast swimming fish that need room to swim to "do great". Unless you just like watching large fish in cramped quarters, which some around here clearly do.

Looks like the trend around here continues, MinimumFishkeeping.com

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
A 14"+ flagtail is not so unusual. Sea World San Diego had at least 8 that less than that length to start with, and they grew to 14"+ easily in a few years. So if folks aren't getting them to that size, then they are doing more likely rehoming or.... before they can get them to that size.

Reactions: MrsE88

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Personally I'd say a 125 (if very lightly stocked) would be ok for about a year if the FT was acquired as a young juvi, but after that it would for sure need a much larger home in order to thrive.

Reactions: MrsE88

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
A 14"+ flagtail is not so unusual. Sea World San Diego had at least 8 that less than that length to start with, and they grew to 14"+ easily in a few years. So if folks aren't getting them to that size, then they are doing more likely rehoming or.... before they can get them to that size.
That would suggest op would be able to keep them in her 125 for a few yrs possibly?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
That’s a bummer to hear.
If they take a few years to hit 12” I’d still be leaning towards getting one, but I’d hate to part with it within a year or two:/
Do you happen to know how fast they grow?

As disappointing as it may be I’d much rather find this all out now so I’m not walking myself into trouble or heartache. I really appreciate the feedback.

That would suggest op would be able to keep them in her 125 for a few yrs possibly?
From what I have seen 10-12" is quite doable within 2 years, if kept in ideal conditions. tank/water/diet Polyaddict already said his reached 9-10" in that time frame.

But size is never the only deciding factor when keeping fish in a comm tank. A flagtail at 8" might become a problem child at feeding time, in a comm setting, with less aggressive eaters. This is exactly what I described previously. The OP isn't asking about keeping a flagtail by itself in a 125.

Reactions: islandguy11

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
MrsE88 MrsE88 I have a 5” flagtail in a 15g and it’s doing great. They are considered semi aggressive fish. Have a separate tank ready since terror cichlids tend to get territorial. My 2” flowerhorn didn’t like my 5” flagtail in a 100g so now he’s thriving in a 15g.

Don’t worry about it growing to a foot. Most people will pay good money to obtain foot long flagtail from you. 125 is sufficient for a flagtail.
If I got one it would only be in the terror tank temporarily, and I’d have a bigger tank as back up.

About 2yrs ill say, maybe more, all fish not equal on growth rate, i have mine about 2 yrs now still 9”-10” and when i bought that it was 4”. It eats pellets and frozen food for my bichirs and aro so its not lacking in food but in my exp. they grow pretty slow.
That growth rate doesn’t sound bad, but I do understand it could vary between individuals.

I’m not too worried about it fitting in my current tank. That would be a grow out tank. I’ll only get the flagtail if I get a bigger tank first so I won’t have to plan on rehoming or scrambling to get a bigger tank the way I did with my terrors. I’d want to have everything set this time:)

From what I have seen 10-12" is quite doable within 2 years, if kept in ideal conditions. tank/water/diet Polyaddict already said his reached 9-10" in that time frame.

But size is never the only deciding factor when keeping fish in a comm tank. A flagtail at 8" might become a problem child at feeding time, in a comm setting, with less aggressive eaters. This is exactly what I described previously. The OP isn't asking about keeping a flagtail by itself in a 125.
That is correct. It would be getting added in with an already established tank, so even though it “could” be kept in that size tank for maybe 1-2yrs current stock might not allow for it for near as long.

The only reason I’m considering it again is because the current 135g would just be temporary.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
4E2EEC3F-1CF0-4B38-83B4-1C2E6A5C64B5.jpeg
Mine not giving me a problem yet, not sucking my bichirs slime coat yet but once it do it will be rehome. Ive also known someone here that grew them faster than what i have. I believed it grew from 3”-4” to 12”-13” in 1 yr, but you can always try and if dont work out just sell and rehome. Btw it will clean your tank very well like they mentioned.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thats why i tagged people that are keeping them in comm settings with less aggressive feeders. I have no 1st hand experience with them

If I got one it would only be in the terror tank temporarily, and I’d have a bigger tank as back up.

That growth rate doesn’t sound bad, but I do understand it could vary between individuals.

I’m not too worried about it fitting in my current tank. That would be a grow out tank. I’ll only get the flagtail if I get a bigger tank first so I won’t have to plan on rehoming or scrambling to get a bigger tank the way I did with my terrors. I’d want to have everything set this time:)

That is correct. It would be getting added in with an already established tank, so even though it “could” be kept in that size tank for maybe 1-2yrs current stock might not allow for it for near as long.

The only reason I’m considering it again is because the current 135g would just be temporary.
Cool. I hope it works out. Ive never kept them (nice back half but the face ugh lol) i remember the other guys telling me that growth was kind of slow, sounds like it would fit your time frame.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store