Opinions on new piranha setup

Anthrax

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2017
New to the world of piranha and this is my first large tank. Just would like some opinions. Plan on getting 3 rb piranha. Only thing I have so far is 70 gallon tank with stand and will be purchasing everything else soon. Here's what I plan on getting so far:

Fluval 406 filter
2 aqueon 150watt heaters
Koval led light
Floating thermometer
Sunsun mini wavemaker

I also plan on running a black background and white gravel. Will be getting some driftwood, rocks and fake plants ( have considered using some live plants). This all look ok? Do i need anything else? Maybe a bubbler ect..

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
New to the world of piranha and this is my first large tank. Just would like some opinions. Plan on getting 3 rb piranha. Only thing I have so far is 70 gallon tank with stand and will be purchasing everything else soon. Here's what I plan on getting so far:

Fluval 406 filter
2 aqueon 150watt heaters
Koval led light
Floating thermometer
Sunsun mini wavemaker

I also plan on running a black background and white gravel. Will be getting some driftwood, rocks and fake plants ( have considered using some live plants). This all look ok? Do i need anything else? Maybe a bubbler ect..

Welcome to MFK ☺ Personally don't know anything about the Fluval 406 so I will let others chime in other than the floating thermometer you should be fine.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
70 seems a little small...

Reactions: heavyhitter

heavyhitter

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
Nebraska
70 seems a little small...
I agree.

They do not need much light and prefer dim. RBP are very shy and need lots of cover. They are a much impressive specimen in large numbers is very large aqaria.

Anthrax

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2017
70 gallons is too small for 3 Red bellies? I didn't think it would be a problem. I read 20 gallons per rb was ok and guy at fish store said it was fine. Guess maybe sometime in the future I'll have to upgrade.

Will I need anything else for oxygenation? Will have a fluval 406 and a powerhead.

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
70 gallons is too small for 3 Red bellies? I didn't think it would be a problem. I read 20 gallons per rb was ok and guy at fish store said it was fine. Guess maybe sometime in the future I'll have to upgrade.

Will I need anything else for oxygenation? Will have a fluval 406 and a powerhead.
your fine u can keep 5 just need a lot of filtration and get a hospital tank in case they attack one another
to be honest your better off with silver dollar they just dont have teeth

B. Hizzle

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2016
2up 2down
bigger is always better but YES, 3 reds will work in 70. but with only 3 they will be very skittish, so just expect that and don't be surprised when they spook easily. If you're set on the 406 I would run 2. I would also recommend darker substrate instead of white, but that's really up to you. imo they look better in a darker set up.

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
imo trust me you can keep 5 cause they will be less skittish also if u have a lot of filtration your fine and a good hiding space

Anthrax

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2017
bigger is always better but YES, 3 reds will work in 70. but with only 3 they will be very skittish, so just expect that and don't be surprised when they spook easily. If you're set on the 406 I would run 2. I would also recommend darker substrate instead of white, but that's really up to you. imo they look better in a darker set up.
The 406 isn't big enough? I thought I read you need a filter that has a gph of at least 4x your tank size? I'm not set on the 406 just read a lot of good things about it. Open to other filters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store