Opinions on new piranha setup

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
A
I know you mean well, and i'm not trying to be rude, but c'mon man, just stop it. You have never kept p's and I wonder if you've ever even seen one in person.

OP, 3 reds in a 70 is not overstocked. 5 is a different story. You put 5 in there and one day you will come home to this.
View attachment 1242868
Alright

Anthrax

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2017
I know you mean well, and i'm not trying to be rude, but c'mon man, just stop it. You have never kept p's and I wonder if you've ever even seen one in person.

OP, 3 reds in a 70 is not overstocked. 5 is a different story. You put 5 in there and one day you will come home to this.
View attachment 1242868
So there's someone in the thread giving advice about a fish they don't even have experience with?

Anthrax

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2017
My opinion:

Get 2 Fluval 406 canisters, & Fluval U4 underwater filter
Fluval 406 #1: fill completely with sponges and floss in all 4 trays
Fluval 406 #2: fill completely with sponges and floss bottom 3 trays, top tray fill with Seachem Matrix.
Fluval U4: keep the original sponges in the outer layers and fill the inner chamber with Seachem Matrix.

That's a lot more Matrix biomedia than the company states is needed, but like with filtration... more is always better.

That's my setup.

Be sure to thoroughly rinse the Matrix rocks before you add them to the filters and run them, they are extremely dusty.
Is there a single filter powerful for the job or are tanks like this always multi filter jobs? Are those 406s as quiet as a lot of the reviews have stated?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
So there's someone in the thread giving advice about a fish they don't even have experience with?
3 RBP's for a 70 is the max, 100%. He's correct whether or not he has experience with them or not, so telling someone to stop giving correct advice is silly.

You put any more than 3 in that tank and you are asking for a situation as pictured above.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania

View attachment 1242868
He's more or less correct, considering 3 is the max RBP anyone should put in a 70, he doesn't have to have kept them to understand stocking a tank. its literally teetering on the line between fine and overstocked. The filtration game OP will play on a 70 with three messy P's is going to be astounding anyhow.

heavyhitter

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
Nebraska
There are advantages of having multiple filters. Such as more flow, a back up if one has a problem, more filtration, also when you clean one the beneficial bacteria can remain unmolested in the other if you alternate cleaning cycles. If you are trying to save some coin, I would go with a Ehiem 2217 and an Aquaclear 110. I'm not saying two 406's would be bad.

Red bellies grow an inch a month for about the first 6 months. They are very messy and having a lot of mechanical and biological filtration is a good thing.

Assuming you are new to this, just keep in mind that 3 RB in a 70 they will be rather shy and timid and my hide when they see you. Thats why said earlier they look awesome in greater numbers in a a very large aquarium, they become less shy in a large group. I have kept three Caribe in a 75 and it was not ideal and IMO was a bit small. Granted they aren't Natteri, but they are pretty close, as close as you will get in the piranha family, a bit more aggressive and a bit less shy.

Ask yourself why you want to keep piranha. Most people get them for the wrong reasons and became rather bored with them, because they do not meet the perceived expectations.

JSpilo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2016
Maryland
Is there a single filter powerful for the job or are tanks like this always multi filter jobs? Are those 406s as quiet as a lot of the reviews have stated?
Quiet? Extremely, practically a whisper and virtually silent when kept inside a cabinet.

I run dual canisters because of the additional volume of filtration media, but yes you can get an FX6 and that would work, but it's h u g e.

Reactions: DarthRhom

heavyhitter

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
Nebraska
Quiet? Extremely, practically a whisper and virtually silent when kept inside a cabinet.

I run dual canisters because of the additional volume of filtration media, but yes you can get an FX6 and that would work, but it's h u g e.
or Dual fx4's

Anthrax

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2017
There are advantages of having multiple filters. Such as more flow, a back up if one has a problem, more filtration, also when you clean one the beneficial bacteria can remain unmolested in the other if you alternate cleaning cycles. If you are trying to save some coin, I would go with a Ehiem 2217 and an Aquaclear 110. I'm not saying two 406's would be bad.

Red bellies grow an inch a month for about the first 6 months. They are very messy and having a lot of mechanical and biological filtration is a good thing.

Assuming you are new to this, just keep in mind that 3 RB in a 70 they will be rather shy and timid and my hide when they see you. Thats why said earlier they look awesome in greater numbers in a a very large aquarium, they become less shy in a large group. I have kept three Caribe in a 75 and it was not ideal and IMO was a bit small. Granted they aren't Natteri, but they are pretty close, as close as you will get in the piranha family, a bit more aggressive and a bit less shy.

Ask yourself why you want to keep piranha. Most people get them for the wrong reasons and became rather bored with them, because they do not meet the perceived expectations.
Getting 2 filters won't be a problem. I'm new to piranha but not completely new to aquariums. I had 2 saltwater tanks a few years ago but had to get rid of them when I went to college. I also know red bellies aren't the vicious predators people like to think about when they hear piranha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store