Opinions on options

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Now that the sad situation with my green Severum Chip has concluded, I'd like to look into new buddies in the main tank. I've really got my eye on a red shoulder severum...one would be a growout option, another is more size ready (5-6). I'm debating which direction to go. I have a soft spot for sevs.

Another idea is dither fish that don't get too large. Consideration of my O's size and mouth, so no snacks either. Point proven after chomping on an 8" severum.

I've really wanted a red shoulder sev for some time. They aren't cheap or easily available, which is why I'm tempted order one now before shipping is suspended (because of what's going on).

aquariumfishnet has larger ones available. https://aquariumfish.ecwid.com/Premium-WILD-Red-Shoulder-Severum-Cichlid-Size-5-to-6-p102554486

Guy on Ebay is selling a couple of juvies from the severum pictured. He's the father. Babies are about 1 1/2". https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Shoulder-Severum-Cichlasoma-severum-Heros-Rotkeil-Live-Fish-Fresh/312969039827?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item48de688fd3:g:LhcAAOSwwmpefWVS&enc=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&checksum=312969039827d4ce0568de374f62bc3ff848b72c5094

I don't feel impatient here, perfectly willing to grow out a lil' one if necessary.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Personally, I would never buy an adult fish when I have the opportunity obtain a smaller, younger, less expensive specimen and raise it up myself. Much more satisfying, and I tend to go overboard on quarantine of new fish so the time delay isn't an issue for me. Plus...I'm cheap! :) Why buy one adult when for the same cash you can get maybe 2 or 3 youngsters, grow them out, pick your favourite and trade off the others?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I would leave well enough alone honestly.

The territories are set right now. If you add a new fish he has to go somewhere so that means hes in someone's turf. That someone don't want to give up his home, so has to fight to keep it.

If you really feel so compelled to add more best thing to do is bucket all the fish. Completely change the tank. I don't mean move things around. I mean all new scape, completely different from what you have now. Then reintroduce the fish to the new tank. There will be squabbles till new territories are set. Will need to keep an heavy eye the tank till it settles down.

This route doesn't just add a fish into a meat grinder that is an established tank with big cichlids.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Maybe you're right, I need to take a breath here. It seems as though the others are still reorganizing after the increase in territory space and frankly, the tank is sleepy right now for the most part. I added an extra hide that was intended for Chip but now the Choc Bobo is using it for his 'room'. He and the BP squabble a bit over it, nothing serious. Boss is greedy and wants both hides. My Oscar seems to be going through some adjustment as well, he's knocking glass lids open and throwing water on the floor. This is new behavior. I see him doing a lot of rooting around to change/expand his area all of a sudden (he's opened up Bobo's hide on the back side by pulling plants back). He's trying to squeeze in there like he did before but gets stuck every time. He seems to like forcing his way through the tunnel and popping out on the other side. Brick's an explorer. He also wants his space. So, not being an idiot I won't push my luck.

I have a spare tank but it wouldn't be enough for an adult severum (38 gal).

What about 2 or 3 spotted dollars? I understand they stay smaller than the others.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Two or three is not really a big enough group for them to feel comfortable.

When I had SDs I started with 5 stripped ones. They were majorly skittish, so much so it was upsetting Toni my Oscar due to them zooming back and forth. I added another 5 spotted and then the group finally settled down to the point that we want. A nice calm group gracefully swimming about. But that put me way over a manageable bioload so I rehomed them.

You would have to get full grown ones due to Brick's big mouth. Brick will still test for himself just to make sure. Toni did....20180617_132135.jpg

Reactions: Backfromthedead

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Two or three is not really a big enough group for them to feel comfortable.

When I had SDs I started with 5 stripped ones. They were majorly skittish, so much so it was upsetting Toni my Oscar due to them zooming back and forth. I added another 5 spotted and then the group finally settled down to the point that we want. A nice calm group gracefully swimming about. But that put me way over a manageable bioload so I rehomed them.

You would have to get full grown ones due to Brick's big mouth. Brick will still test for himself just to make sure. Toni did....View attachment 1411299
Cheez, I think our Oscars were made for each other!

How big do the different Dollars get? I know the silvers and red hooks are largest. Pretty light on bioload?

ad88

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Oklahoma
What are your goals for this tank? Are you trying to stock to where no one has a territory to defend kind of like African Cichlids? What are the measurements for this tank?

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
What are your goals for this tank? Are you trying to stock to where no one has a territory to defend kind of like African Cichlids? What are the measurements for this tank?
tank is 6ft, 225

Stocking is down due to loss of Severum, so looking for something compatible without territory issues. Challenge is dithers that my O won't crack in half or create bioload issues (for obvious reasons with current stock).

Current stocking is Oscar 12+, Parrot ~7, Chocolate 6, and two syno catfishes 5-6. So larger dithers would work, but not too many. Tank is scaped with lots of sight breaks, 'get away' spots and canopy. Center is open for swimming. I have to factor in that the cichlids are still growing.

Reactions: ad88

ad88

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Oklahoma
tank is 6ft, 225

Stocking is down due to loss of Severum, so looking for something compatible without territory issues. Challenge is dithers that my O won't crack in half or create bioload issues (for obvious reasons with current stock).

Current stocking is Oscar 12+, Parrot ~7, Chocolate 6, and two syno catfishes 5-6. So larger dithers would work, but not too many. Tank is scaped with lots of sight breaks, 'get away' spots and canopy. Center is open for swimming. I have to factor in that the cichlids are still growing.
I think maybe fish that don't require territory will be your best bet. Clown Loaches come to mind off of the top of my head. Good luck on your decision I know I am always excited when looking for something to add to my tanks. I have a 125 gallon with 2 fish at the moment but I can't pull the trigger on anything because I want success and not a war in the tank.

Reactions: FINWIN

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Maybe a couple Rainbow fish could work. Again would have to get adult's or grow out in another tank due to Brick's giant maw of a mouth. Still be ready to hospitalize one or more if Brick takes a test bite.

I admit I only recently got back into fish and did some dumb stuff along the way and it cost fish loss that didn't need to happen. Doing things I wanted instead of doing what the fish need to thrive. This site and its helpful people helped me see my errors.
Now that I went the other way and going a single fish route it is showing its rewards in the appearance, attitude, activity of my fish. He also just looks better due to no fights so no ripped fins or marks on his body. This also helps with health, less stress on the fish due to not fighting for turf. Also easier to see when there are health issues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store