Opinions on options

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
The tank is pretty more or less fully stocked but you could probably also fit a severum if you wanted. I don't think that would be the straw that broke the bioload's back. And you seem to know about water quality and good maintenance, water changes etc. So should be alright in that regard.
If you are already having aggression issues, any new fish introduced may be a target. Getting a smaller fish that won't be as much of a threat may be easier to introduce than an adult cichlid. Rearranging the décor is a good idea. Personally I don't remove fish from the tank when I do this to minimize stress on them and myself

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Maybe a couple Rainbow fish could work. Again would have to get adult's or grow out in another tank due to Brick's giant maw of a mouth. Still be ready to hospitalize one or more if Brick takes a test bite.

I admit I only recently got back into fish and did some dumb stuff along the way and it cost fish loss that didn't need to happen. Doing things I wanted instead of doing what the fish need to thrive. This site and its helpful people helped me see my errors.
Now that I went the other way and going a single fish route it is showing its rewards in the appearance, attitude, activity of my fish. He also just looks better due to no fights so no ripped fins or marks on his body. This also helps with health, less stress on the fish due to not fighting for turf. Also easier to see when there are health issues.
I had pink chalceus on my list too (just one). Tough thing is finding available fish with any size, most are 1 or 2 inches.

I've made mistakes too, big ones. One of the worst was when I purchased the Oscars and parrots over a year ago. Had Patch in a temporary holding tank and she went berserk. I thought she'd gone crazy when I found out the water was 99 degrees!!!! I raced upstairs and dumped bags of ice in and she was fine. I was using my hands to 'guess' the temperature, forgetting I have a high tolerance for hot water. Never again. I got one of those 'pin' thermometers for meat and use it for fill ups now. Gives precise and instant readings which is great.

This is my first go round with cichlids and I've learned a lot by observing them and reading here. They're like no other fish I've ever had!

I do have extra tubs for emergencies and a hospital tank.

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I wouldn't get a pink tail unless it's an adult. Long skinny fish are soooooo tempting....
Not a PTC but you get the idea.
20180103_082344.jpg

Reactions: fishhead0103666

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
The tank is pretty more or less fully stocked but you could probably also fit a severum if you wanted. I don't think that would be the straw that broke the bioload's back. And you seem to know about water quality and good maintenance, water changes etc. So should be alright in that regard.
If you are already having aggression issues, any new fish introduced may be a target. Getting a smaller fish that won't be as much of a threat may be easier to introduce than an adult cichlid. Rearranging the décor is a good idea. Personally I don't remove fish from the tank when I do this to minimize stress on them and myself
I'm pretty hesitant to disrupt everything for one new fish. The rearranging stuff never worked for me anyway, the fish went right at it again like nothing changed. They knew their areas and nothing would change their mind.

Current w/c schedule is 80-90 percent twice a week, Tues and Sat.

Before I lost Chip he had grown to 8", so I was thinking another severum since I like them so well. And the red shoulder ones are stunning. My only concern right now is that the chocolate will become somewhat of a 'replacement target' for the #1 and #2. He's been in the tank long enough to adapt well and is growing nicely. With the three of them the tank's pretty sleepy right now...just minor nudge here and there or short chase but everyone has their own area. Unlike the severum, the chocolate has learned how to navigate the tank bosses and not create disruption. Probably as he gets bigger the dynamic will change again.

Right now its about 85-90 percent peaceful. I'll take it.

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Around 10 in and I wouldn't call it chubby, they are speedy surface fish. Mine zooms around like a cruise missile. When he's actually on the go. Spends a lot of time stationary as well. I call them Tetracuda. Since they are in the Tetra family, but acts like a Barracuda.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Sounds like a cool fish. I did some searching awhile ago but couldn't find anything over 3 inches. Of course I could get a bag of giant danios and see how long they'd last...

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Seller on Ebay is now offering me a discount on one of the baby red shoulder Sevs...he's down to a handful. Think I'll go the grow out route. More info as I get it.

Gourami Swami Gourami Swami , I found moving decor around actually seems to work better with the fish in the tank. They immediately start exploring and checking out the new changes. THEN they squabble, lol.

Oscar always gravitates to the side near the doors. Parrot always gravitates to the side by the windows. Don't ask me why, have no idea. Any other fish have the middle/top/back to work with. So I do 'top down' decor. Overhang shade with space underneath and hides. This seems most effective with my fish. Everyone picks a room/area and then they're satisfied. The odd thing is if I leave one area completely open, no one will use it which reduces territory and usable tank space. So floating plants seems to solve that. Weird.

Maybe the fish don't like feeling totally exposed? I dunno.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

fisheb

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2013
OH
I don't have anything to add to this conversation. I just wanted to share my appreciation of you for being such a conscientious fish owner! So many posts on here are trying to cram as much as possible into inadequate housing without any regard for the welfare of their fish. It is refreshing to see someone who takes such great care and plans ahead about things like compatibility. I wish there were more like you out there!

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Thanks. I find fish keeping is only enjoyable when you care for your fin buddies and treat their needs with respect. I'm kind of mid level keeper but still keep learning things here. I must have read boo coo threads before joining MFK.

Looks like the last baby red shoulder sold so...

Looking into rainbow cichlids, spanner barbs, mascara barbs and filament barbs. Trick is avoiding snack size purchase.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store