Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Get the NEW MonsterFishKeepers iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227178708 // Android version will be out soon!
      Dismiss Notice

Oscar Jumped Out

Discussion in 'Central and South American Cichlids' started by jhook, Apr 20, 2017.

1. jhook

jhook MFK Members

Jeremy
      Thursday at 4:11 PM
      Last night, at 10pm, my ~ 12" - 13" 14 month old male Tiger Oscar decided that he wanted to explore the house for a bit. He somehow managed to launch himself out of my 150 gallon tank from the front, flop around on the lid for a bit, go over my lights and fall to the floor behind my tank. This is extraordinary because I do have a decently heavy (I thought) hinged glass lid. The hinge part of the lid is no more, he destroyed that last night. It took me a good five minutes of looking around the interior of the tank stand, in the sump and around the wires before I found him laying wedged between the bottom of the stand and the wall. I was finally able to push him out and grab him with a towel to put him back into the tank where he promptly went to his spot and stayed there.

He's pretty beat up and has quite a few scales missing. The worrying part is that he had a string of blood coming from his gills. When I checked on him this morning, him and the Lutino Oscar seemed normal although they didn't eat. Hopefully he'll be fine. I know they're tough fish but I didn't realize how strong they can be.

This whole thing really scared the hell out of my dogs and now they're hesitant to go near the tank. That part, at least, is funny.

2. skjl47

skjl47 MFK Members

Jeff
      Today at 12:05 AM
      Hello; Good luck. I have found a few fish on the floor still alive. Some have lived for a while after being put back in a tank. Most have not made it.
      I think one problem has been that the protective slime coat gets removed which can lead to infections of things like a fungus. There is also the physical damage from hitting the floor and from the thrashing around.
      Over time I have had to revise the lids on tanks. It is amazing that fish can somehow find a way out of a fairly tight cover.

jhook and tlindsey like this.
    3. tlindsey

tlindsey MFK Members

Thomas Lindsey Sr.
      Today at 12:28 AM
      I agree with @skjl47@skjl47 but if the Oscar did not damage anything internally the Oscar should recover.

jhook likes this.
    4. xraycer

xraycer MFK Members

Dinh
      Yesterday at 10:55 PM
      Gotta hate that!

He should be fine, since you found him right away and got him right back into water. He probably won't eat for a few days, since its a bit shell shocked, but the eating machine will come back around soon. Just up the water changes, to keep the water cleaner than normal, to help along any necessary healing process

jhook and tlindsey like this.
    5. jhook

jhook MFK Members

Jeremy
      Thanks, I'm currently trying to figure out how to keep the lids on tight enough to keep them from jumping out again. I have a few heavy books on the lid now while I'm at work and until I can figure something out. I did put a dose of stress coat in the tank after I put him back in. Hopefully this helps. I don't really want to put anything else in until I see that I really need to or if he is struggling. Unfortunately, I don't have a big enough empty tank to use as a hospital tank to treat just him.

tlindsey likes this.
    6. jhook

jhook MFK Members

Jeremy
      Will do. Usually I do a 30 - 50% twice a week. I'm thinking of doing 30% per day until / if he heals up. The new pump I bought and attach to the python helps with those water changes.

xraycer and tlindsey like this.
    7. tlindsey

tlindsey MFK Members

Thomas Lindsey Sr.

Btw recently had a Florida Gar jump out onto concrete floor thought lids on the 180 was heavy enough also. The Gar wasn't large but apparently strong so now must find clamps .

jhook likes this.
    8. xraycer

xraycer MFK Members

Dinh
      Yesterday at 10:55 PM
      Clean water is probably best "medicine" right now.

9. skjl47

skjl47 MFK Members

Jeff
      Today at 12:05 AM
      Hello; Too bad you do not have a suitable hospital tank right now. I have been in that position a few times. I was going to suggest a few days in a solution of methylene blue. Not sure if the methylene blue is still available. It use to be a suggested treatment for fungus problems. It is a dye and will stain some things. There may be other products to do the same thing.
      Good luck

tlindsey likes this.
    10. tlindsey

tlindsey MFK Members

Thomas Lindsey Sr.

Its still available bought powder form off Aquabid and from a reliable vendor.