Oscar Pair tank size

cammyyax

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2020
I am looking to get a pair of Oscars for my soon to be built studio. I am wondering if a tank with the dimensions of 4.9 ft x 1.8 ft x 1.6 ft tall. The volume would be 109ish gallons. Sorry, I understand how these dimensions are kinda weird but I'm used to working in the metric system lol. I plan on filtering the tank with say 4 or 5 sponge filters on a central air system, and probably Seachem Tidal 55 HOB I have spare. I am good with water changes so I am not concerned about keeping up with the maintenance. I will definitely be able to water change whenever water tests demand. Also, they would have this tank to themselves in all likelihood. Perhaps a pleco but that's not really a must. What do you guys think about keeping them in a tank like this? Thank you!!

Reactions: tlindsey

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
One single oscar, maybe.Two oscars, no no no. Two oscars AND a pleco, absolutely never. They're just too big, and too messy of a fish for that sized tank.

I was toying with the idea very recently about getting a pair of juvenile oscars, growing them out in a 120 (4×2×2), and then putting them in a 180 (6×2×2) by themselves. I decided against it for various reasons but the eventual tank size I was planning on putting them in, the 180, i'd say would be about right for a pair of full grown oscars.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

cammyyax

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2020
ah, yup. I was thinking because I have seen in a lot of places saying 2 Oscars is good in a 125 and it is little difference. A single oscar would be good though??

Reactions: Ruturaj

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
One single oscar, maybe.Two oscars, no no no. Two oscars AND a pleco, absolutely never. They're just too big, and too messy of a fish for that sized tank.

I was toying with the idea very recently about getting a pair of juvenile oscars, growing them out in a 120 (4×2×2), and then putting them in a 180 (6×2×2) by themselves. I decided against it for various reasons but the eventual tank size I was planning on putting them in, the 180, i'd say would be about right for a pair of full grown oscars.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Welcome aboard
I agree with esoxlucius esoxlucius .

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
ah, yup. I was thinking because I have seen in a lot of places saying 2 Oscars is good in a 125 and it is little difference. A single oscar would be good though??
I understand. You want a simple answer to a simple question, you search on line for advice and you get various opinions which can throw you a bit. Who's right? Who's talking crap?

You're a new member, if you stay with us long enough you'll soon realise there's not that much crap on here, just honest, sometimes very blunt and straight to the point good sound advice.

We give that advice first and foremost with the welfare of the fish in mind, it's always about the fish. We try and encourage good practice.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
One should be happy in there. May be look at other CA\SA cichlid that are little smaller if you want a pair but might not be as enjoyable as Oscars. Something aggressive like red devil or midas can be fun.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I understand. You want a simple answer to a simple question, you search on line for advice and you get various opinions which can throw you a bit. Who's right? Who's talking crap?

You're a new member, if you stay with us long enough you'll soon realise there's not that much crap on here, just honest, sometimes very blunt and straight to the point good sound advice.

We give that advice first and foremost with the welfare of the fish in mind, it's always about the fish. We try and encourage good practice.
+1

I have been part for a while and always got a good guidance. Few people are gem, rather than just learning 'what' I learned 'why' behind a lot of things.

cammyyax

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2020

Thank you. I have done so much research but I have found that Oscars are one of the fish that has so many different opinions that its impossible for someone who i new to cichlids to know. I have seen many places saying that 70 gallons is good for a pair which i realise is obviously wrong but I've struggled to work it out past there. My top priority is always the fish no matter what they are so i appreciate the advice. I am getting the tank custom built so i bumped it up to 120 gallons and will just go for one oscar and maybe just a second one in a picture on my wall hahah

cammyyax

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2020
One should be happy in there. May be look at other CA\SA cichlid that are little smaller if you want a pair but might not be as enjoyable as Oscars. Something aggressive like red devil or midas can be fun.
Thank you. i love oscars. I have another tank I'm setting up for geos and other bits and pieces. I fell in love with oscars by mistake hahaha so i think i will just keep one by themselves :)

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
So the dimensions you are talking about come out to roughly 125 gallons. If that is out side dimensions then closer to 120 already. If you went a foot longer and 5" wider you'd have your 180 and have room for a pair.
Welcome btw!

Edit
Oops I see my mistake it's only 1.6 not 2'. I still say get the 180! It's only marginally bigger......lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store