Oscars for the 125

DawnMichele

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2010
Florida
The recommendation of 4 Oscars plus other fish in a tank that size is not a good recommendation. 4 keyhole cichlids would be a good recommendation for at tank the size of the OP's.
Am I the only one here that sees this?
Why do people have to cram these big, active, intelligent fish into these size tanks?
Even if you keep the fish fin perfect and disease free, is this really good practice?
So many modest sized fish In the hobby to choose from, let's put 4, 12+inch fish in a four foot tank. Sorry, but seems unfair and unnecessary to me. I don't think a solo oscar can be happy in a four foot tank.
Each to their own though.
I also believe silver dollars should be in much bigger groups to feel comfortable and in a tank of minimum, 6+feet.
My Oscar Big Boy LOVES his 125 by himself!!!!

-603FiShHoBbIeSt-

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Just 2 Oscars? I'm not quite following your end game plan here? SD's, geos, etc, and two O's, or just two O's?
There will be 6 silver dollars, 2 red tapajos, and 2 red oscars

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Ok, your tank, your call, but if it was me I would stick with a max of just the two O's. As it is you are going to have to do large frequent water changes (as in min of twice a week) & frequent filter cleaning. Good luck.

-603FiShHoBbIeSt-

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Ok, your tank, your call, but if it was me I would stick with a max of just the two O's. As it is you are going to have to do large frequent water changes (as in min of twice a week) & frequent filter cleaning. Good luck.
I will post updates as the oscars grow and when I add them to the 125, these fish will not be neglected in anyway. I understand everyone’s opinions here and I get it, everyone has there own way of keeping fish and what they think is best or right from wrong, but I’m going to try the plan I have in mind for this tank and if it doesn’t work out then I’ll go from there. Thank you

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I will post updates as the oscars grow and when I add them to the 125, these fish will not be neglected in anyway. I understand everyone’s opinions here and I get it, everyone has there own way of keeping fish and what they think is best or right from wrong, but I’m going to try the plan I have in mind for this tank and if it doesn’t work out then I’ll go from there. Thank you
I don't necessarily think you're wrong its just for sure those cute lil' Os will grow geometrically and put out a "bio load multipler". Think of it as mass equals poop squared!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store