Oscars laid eggs need help asap

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
My oscars laid eggs I have other fish in the tank and wanna know they are fertile and if I could take the rock out and put it in a 10-20 gallon for them to hatch. Any help and tips have bred convicts and africans in the past but never oscars excited.

image.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My oscars laid eggs I have other fish in the tank and wanna know they are fertile and if I could take the rock out and put it in a 10-20 gallon for them to hatch. Any help and tips have bred convicts and africans in the past but never oscars excited.

View attachment 1369267

Congrats! Most of the eggs on top of the rock are infertile. Fertile eggs won't turn white but will be Amber colored until they hatch. Personally would let the be and seed a sponge filter for next time.

Reactions: AnthonyFish20

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
Congrats! Most of the eggs on top of the rock are infertile. Fertile eggs won't turn white but will be Amber colored until they hatch. Personally would let the be and seed a sponge filter for next time.
Ok Ill let nature take its course at least I know they are a breeding pair now. Im trying to get rid of some of the fish I have so I could just have them in the tank. This of course happened after a water change and moving some fish.

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
First off if they are bright white then they are not fertilized. They turn a tanish color if they were. Females can lay eggs without males present. So it may be that.
No the male has been vented its their first time so im expecting most or all to be infertile. They literally just laid them and are still hovering over them still might be trying to fertilize them.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Ahhh ok I get it. I assumed it's been a bit, if still at then ya could still work out for you.
Grats man! Best of luck to you and the pair.

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
Word of the wise if you are concentrating on breeding a pair. Remove all other large fish, dithers can go either way. Do regular water changes and turn the heat to 80-85. Other activity in the tank can disrupt the male fertilizing the eggs. It might take a second try, sometimes it happens. Make sure the surroundings suit the fish well, because that rock looks jagged. Try something smoother, sometimes something more comfortable might make the difference.

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
First off if they are bright white then they are not fertilized. They turn a tanish color if they were. Females can lay eggs without males present. So it may be that.
Ha. Yes, I have seen a female Oscar lay eggs for a Severum male, doesn’t mean they’ll hatch!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store