Oscars...Questions..

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I love those, some people call them Chili Red / Pepper Oscars. Never seen any in my area though.
Those Chilli Red Oscar's were breed in India. Apparently a bunch made it into the states before the breeder stopped producing them. May have luck finding some in India if willing to pay the shipping and all that.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I have just collected total of 6 small Oscars from several different shops, I will start another thread on this in next day or so... grow out and thin out as we go is the plan...
I has 4 oscars purchased at the same time and grown up together. At age 8 months one oscar would fight with some of the others.
It seemed like this oscar was always defensive. He was the smallest at one point. But later the same size.
I had to split them up. Now I have 2 tigers that get along fine and 2 reds that have an off and on again truce.
I would love to have kept the harem going. Even in a tank of 300gal + I think there would have been fighting but may have been manageable.
The personalities of oscars are so diverse. So how it all balances out is difficult to foresee. I can tell you that for 1/2 a year or even a year your 6 may work out fine. It is though, a guessing game.

Reactions: triggered

triggered

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2012
australia
I has 4 oscars purchased at the same time and grown up together. At age 8 months one oscar would fight with some of the others.
It seemed like this oscar was always defensive. He was the smallest at one point. But later the same size.
I had to split them up. Now I have 2 tigers that get along fine and 2 reds that have an off and on again truce.
I would love to have kept the harem going. Even in a tank of 300gal + I think there would have been fighting but may have been manageable.
The personalities of oscars are so diverse. So how it all balances out is difficult to foresee. I can tell you that for 1/2 a year or even a year your 6 may work out fine. It is though, a guessing game.
Thanks for your input Dave, i have been watching them closely and will be very interested to see how their relationships and characters develop over time...
I have 2 albino (1 tiger, 1 red) and
4 black (1 long fin, 1 tiger & 2 reds) and they have already split into albinos together and the black strains always together..

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I keep one Oscar and he is enough for me.
I would get those heaters into the sump though.
Oscars bite them and will eventually break them.
Even with a heater guard I was nervous about this.

My oscar tank has plumbing too big to break, heaters in the sump, and some plastic plants for him to trash.
He will rip up all the plants, haul them "downstream" and build a fort to hide in.

I tried to keep him with a big catfish but the Oscar harassed the cat relentlessly, and this was a big spiny common pleco 10" long vs a 9" Oscar. Here he was in a petco 55 for about a year.
20190212_101439.jpg

Felix is 2 years old now, but I don't have good pics of him in his new tank yet. This is an old pic.

20180929_131052.jpg

triggered

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2012
australia
I keep one Oscar and he is enough for me.
I would get those heaters into the sump though.
Oscars bite them and will eventually break them.
Even with a heater guard I was nervous about this.

My oscar tank has plumbing too big to break, heaters in the sump, and some plastic plants for him to trash.
He will rip up all the plants, haul them "downstream" and build a fort to hide in.

I tried to keep him with a big catfish but the Oscar harassed the cat relentlessly, and this was a big spiny common pleco 10" long vs a 9" Oscar. Here he was in a petco 55 for about a year.
View attachment 1382036

Felix is 2 years old now, but I don't have good pics of him in his new tank yet. This is an old pic.

View attachment 1382038

Yeah Ulu it is all gonna be trial and error with the personalitys of these fish..
I will definitely be moving the heaters as well.
Beautiful fish Felix !!

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
FWIW......i have kept danios in with my oscar, they are lightning quick but no guarantee they wont slip up and become lunch. I have tried keeping my texas with him, and the texas was kicking his ass kinda... i have also tried young green terror fry than can stay hidden, but it seems to stress my O out anytime i try tankmates

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Thank you, Triggered.

Felix was supposed to be a Lemon, but I kept him anyway. He was only 1.5" when I got him.
I have been too busy moving tanks around to take new photos, but he is in a custom plexiglas 75 now. I bought plexiglas because he was trying to break the tempered glass every day.

I took all his rocks away when I found him trying to smash them into the glass. He would get a "running" start and smack a rock with his mouth, and shove it across the tank. I mean a rock the size of a 1lb hamburger patty, but 4x as heavy.

f3.jpg

triggered

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2012
australia
Thank you, Triggered.

Felix was supposed to be a Lemon, but I kept him anyway. He was only 1.5" when I got him.
I have been too busy moving tanks around to take new photos, but he is in a custom plexiglas 75 now. I bought plexiglas because he was trying to break the tempered glass every day.

I took all his rocks away when I found him trying to smash them into the glass. He would get a "running" start and smack a rock with his mouth, and shove it across the tank. I mean a rock the size of a 1lb hamburger patty, but 4x as heavy.

View attachment 1382040
Hahahha love the personalitys !!

triggered

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2012
australia
I have just started another post on these Oscars but not sure how to tag people here sorry...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store