Oscars vs. African Cichlids

pistonville

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
I just bought a 125 gallon fish tank with the intent of getting 3-4 Oscars, but my wife wants me to put more fish in the tank. I have heard that African Cichlids are generally smaller than Oscars. If this is true, about how many African Cichlids can I put in a 125 gallon tank? Also, are they as aggressive as Oscars? I was planning feeding Oscars live feeders 2-4 times a month. Will most African Cichlids eat live feeders too? As you can see, I'm new to Cichlids. Thanks in advance for any help.

lekkiandgas

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
hertfordshire, england
i personally wouldnt really mix sa with African cos a like hard water and sa like soft water
not saying it couldn't be done though
Africans might not be big enough to eat live
African can reach 6in with Oscars reaching 12 inch +
there wouldn't be much room with say 30 Africans but then 3-4 o's wouldn't fit?

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
You can put a ton of Africans in a 125. I'd say around 50 mbuna. But you need to look into what Africans you want. There is no reason to feed Africans "feeders". There are some Africans that you can make sick from feeding them feeders.
Just don't feed fish feeders unless they're considered "predators" and they are refusing prepared food.

Reactions: tlindsey

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Regardless of which fish, do a bit more research on compatibility, feeding, water requirements. African Cichlids stocking is a challenging task due mainly to the diversity of selection plus feeding requirements. One of the most difficult tasks in my opinion is dealing with aggression. It is quite common in the hobby that one can lose all the fish due to aggression.

So do some googling if you decide to go with African Cichlids.

As for me, I will discourage you from mixing Oscars with Africans.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree, a 125 is only large enough for the oscars.
Feeding feeder fish is a gamble, because they can be carriers of disease and parasites. All it takes is one asymptomatic feeder, and all your oscars are sick or dead.
And when all similar in size, Africans will probably rip the oscars to shreds, but if the oscars are, or get large, they will see the Africans as feeders.
As far as water requirements go, most locally bred oscars, will work fine with any other locally bred species, African, or not not.
And though many S American species from east of the Andes prefer soft water, any that come from west of the Andes, or Cenral America are fine in alkaline or higher pH water.

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
As above, the water chemistry requirement is very different for Oscars and Africans, I would not suggest mixing them. In a 125 you may be able to keep 2 Oscars max with good filtration and frequent water changes, no other fish. They make great wet pets and can become very interactive with their owners.
If you go the African route, you can create a "fresh water reef" type tank with Malawi's - lots of fish, lots of movement, lots of colour, but there will be aggression that can be managed to an extend.
Very different tank set-ups, but both can be rewarding.
You must be keen to get going, but google is your friend, better be sure of what you're getting into that try to deal with a mess later.
Good luck!

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Oscars are puppy dogs compared to Africans when it comes to aggression. As was said 2 oscars in a 125 then your to capacity. Africans well there are so many differant ones and some will work together some will not . I would not mix mbuna with peacocks and such as the mbuna are way too agressive. I could write a book on Africans but as was said google types of African cichlids and compatability.

Leon Wang

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2015
GanSu,China
My own opinion, oscars are peaceful SA cichlid, and best tankmates of them is other SA fishes, like eartheater, heros, and pacus

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store