Our Black Diamond babies

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
I like to go by what a friend of mine has told me-
Traits of a BD- parameter spotting, Belly spotting, spots in spiracles, spots in eyes and spots on males claspers.

Gorgeous pups!!

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
I like to go by what a friend of mine has told me-
Traits of a BD- parameter spotting, Belly spotting, spots in spiracles, spots in eyes and spots on males claspers.

Gorgeous pups!!
Thanks very much.... They might not be the best but i have to say i love them to pieces!
They are also very naughty! Especially the BD and the P14 on my other thread. Much more mischivious and agressive than the motoros or the hybrids... not sure if all black rays are like that.

That is more or less the criteria i thought from the tons of reading i have done but.. then it gets confusing because they dont really have distinctive parameter spotting, claspers is too soon to see, they have a bit on the belly but not much... yet.. they have spotting on the eyes and spiracles and then I get confused and back to square one!!
Not that i mind them being Leopoldi, so please dont take my reply in the wrong way..its just that i have been trying to learn how to distinguish them all apart and its been quite a challenge!!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
After nearly a 4 year wait..... We finally managed to get our dfeam....our black diamond babies.
Beautiful rays and,if you don't mind,why has it taken you so long to get them?

Reactions: MariaS

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Beautiful rays and,if you don't mind,why has it taken you so long to get them?
Thanks very much....

Stingrays were blacklisted in South Africa until.. late 2013/2014....
Once they came off the blacklist we started begging the LFS (more than one) to bring them in but we were made promises after promises that they would arrive and the months went by and they never did.
We eventually received a motoro female and mantila male which i think were the first rays that arrived in the Country.
During 2016 a few other motoros and motoro hybrids came in but some were being lost by the LFS's as no one had any experience on their requirements .
I think this, combined with the in experience of where to source them and the price at which they were landing here all contributed to the delays
Eventually in December 2016 the two Leos arrived shipped as black diamonds.....
In January 2017 the two little black diamonds arrived but when we got there to fetch them they were not in good shape and the little male died the next day, the female we pulled through and she is the one i posted on this thread
Just after that they brought in my (I think) P14.

I must say that they replaced the little male that died on arrival two weeks ago after 3 months of investigation but guess what arrived as a black diamond... a pair of Henlei Pups!!! And those i am sure what they are because they brown..
Anyway... i took the little guys.. will post them one of these days

The same happened with Datnoids .... after almost 4 years we eventually got them two weeks ago as they arrived in the same shipment ...

So.. yes... long story... But it was worth the wait...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store