OVERTURN THE PYTHON BAN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xjmike91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
new jersey
I have bred and kept large snakes and lizaeds with no problems at all. Burmese are gentle giants and should not be treated as a evil problem. The breeding of these snakes keeps thousands employed and these people have been responsible in there work for as long as they have been breeding. To let a few bad apples spoil the bunch would be a heartbreak. Ive had burms but am a boa guy, and they range from 8to10ft for a BCI and upto 12+ for some BCC and they are puppy dog tame. There are far more dog attacks than snake attacks and far more stray cats and dogs in this country than snakes. Not saying that we should ban cats and dogs but we should take it easy on banning these gentle giants. The poloticians shoudnt ask other poloticians and zoo keepers about how regulate and evaluate if these are good animals, they should ask the hundreds of thousands of people raising them and breeding them about the nature and if they are safe to own. I am still young and dont live is south florida were the problem lies but it would break my heart if my children could only see these beautiful animals at zoos and never realy learn morte about them other than the goverment finds them too dangeous and they are a threat. I just hope boas arnt next becouse that would really butva hurt on alot of loving and responsible herpers.

xjmike91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
new jersey
If it means you have to pay for a permit than so be it, becouse the herpers that love these animals will do what they have to do to keep them. I just really wish these gentle giants could be understood better and not thought of as just killers and dangerous. The responsibility is with the owner regardless of the animal. If you have a dog and it attacks a person, can you blame the entire breed of dog? I just dont want to see these and other beautiful reptiles in the future disapear. People fear what they dont understand, and its easier to dismiss somthing than to understand it. I bet that if people who want to ban these snakes got to spend time and hold the ones i have and have had then they mite begin to understand that even tho they mite not be as cuddly as a kitty, they are still gentle,sweet and extremly good pets if they are kept properly and respected.
Thancks to all of you who took the time to understand and respect these beautiful constrictors.

Eupterus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2006
Bennington, VT
I'm not sure why you want to over turn a ban importing pythons. It does not ban people from keeping them.
You don't need to import more of them, if you want them , there's plenty of them already in captivity for you to buy and or adopt.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
I'm not sure why you want to over turn a ban importing pythons. It does not ban people from keeping them.
You don't need to import more of them, if you want them , there's plenty of them already in captivity for you to buy and or adopt.
This also bans all interstate travel. So you will have a heck of a time getting one.

cmj15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Morgantown, West Virginia
the importation from other countries is a good plan, but the interstate travel is a little excessive. Also since I got into keeping reptiles I believed that not larger pythons, especially African Rocks and reticulated pythons, should not be able to be kept by the average joe. I think that a permit should be required to keep the larger species because I have seen stores sell an alligator to a college kid with a 10g aquarium in their dorm...

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
And who are you to decide who can keep what, and how do you know what tank they have?

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
yeah it not only bans importation (which i would be ok with to protect the wild populations and since captive breeding of these is well established in the pet trade here) but also bans interstate travel, so will affect most businesses dealing with/breeding these guys and will also affect private hobbyists. no it doesnt ban owning them but what if you need to move to another state? then you will either have to give up your pet or break the law by sneaking them across (which is what i think most would do lol) but then its making criminals out of people that otherwise would be law abiding citizens over an issue that is only a problem for the most southern parts of the US. this should be a state issue and FL already has a permit/chip system in place for these guys. if you ask me its just a gimmick they supported to make a big deal out of and bring attention away from the fact that they are not doing what they need to, to actually fix the problem in the glades. also just because one person has no desire/means to care for a large exotic animal doesnt mean that somebody else doesnt. i have seen some WAY nicer set-ups in private homes than i have in quite a few "zoos" (using that term VERY loosely) i think an EFFICIENT permit/chip system should be put in place for these guys so that people that can properly care for them can do so without tons of hassle but an outright ban never solves anything

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
I didn't see this detail mentioned in the article I read. This does seem like an inconvenience for people who mail order reptiles and attend shows to sell reptiles they have bred.
They are added to the lacy act. That bans importation and interstate travel. That destroys the industry. Its done.

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
I find myself laughing at people who go on saying "well it's good they're banning the import there's plenty of CB ones" because even if they hadn't already banned interstate travel as well, imports are necessary.. Know how morphs get started? They don't randomly appear in captivity, or at least not with any regularity. 99% of morphs start with one imported individual, which is then bred. So if you care for morphs to any degree, you should be against banning import. Not to mention, in captivity, they will eventually become very inbred.. Species such as ball pythons will take a lot longer than others. But other species, let's say... Scrub Pythons. There aren't many of them in captivity......

So, like it or not, imports are necessary. Now, it is important to note that I do not think they should be imported by the thousands, and the imports should go to breeders, not just any pet shop. It used to be that all reptiles were imports, but now they aren't normally imported in hundreds or thousands, and imports generally do not end up in any old pet shop. It needs to be left that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store