Pacu Foster

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Thought I’d show you guys a photo of one of the red-bellied pacu I fostered a while back! They were dropped off outside of a pet supplies plus and had nowhere to go. There were 3 of them, and they were about 4-5 inches long at the time. I had an empty 20-gallon, so I decided to take them in until I could find a place for them to go.
At first they were in very rough shape. They say the the bottom of the tank and often fell onto their sides. However, over the course of the few weeks I had them, they got a lot better! They were skiddish at first as well, but became a lot more confident and lively! I eventually found a store in Quincy, MA that would take them, and made the trip with them! They were a bit stressed and stunted during and after the trip, but I’m glad they got a place to go, and hope they found a great home together!8ADCEB70-0CAB-4210-A689-5F8066FCB6BD.jpeg

Reactions: deeda and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thought I’d show you guys a photo of one of the red-bellied pacu I fostered a while back! They were dropped off outside of a pet supplies plus and had nowhere to go. There were 3 of them, and they were about 4-5 inches long at the time. I had an empty 20-gallon, so I decided to take them in until I could find a place for them to go.
At first they were in very rough shape. They say the the bottom of the tank and often fell onto their sides. However, over the course of the few weeks I had them, they got a lot better! They were skiddish at first as well, but became a lot more confident and lively! I eventually found a store in Quincy, MA that would take them, and made the trip with them! They were a bit stressed and stunted during and after the trip, but I’m glad they got a place to go, and hope they found a great home together!View attachment 1492799
Actually looks like a Spotted Silver Dollar.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
tlindsey tlindsey is right; that is a youngish male Metynnis lippincotianus.
I applaud your willingness to nurture them back and of finding a good home for them.

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
tlindsey tlindsey is right; that is a youngish male Metynnis lippincotianus.
I applaud your willingness to nurture them back and of finding a good home for them.
Thank you! I’ve always been big on helping any fish I can. I’m rehabbing two bettas which were in bad shape, ones fins have grown in and are so beautiful! The other one is still on his way to health. Also took in a common pleco yesterday to help find it a place to go, and found her a place in one of my LFS. Whatever I can do to help some fish out! They deserve better than what they’re often given.

Reactions: tlindsey

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Good of you.
Curiosity - What is the origin of your name?
By the way, I used to live in Massachusetts and worked in Providence, RI. I miss the Boston Aquarium Society, and a number of LFSs between those two places.
Cheers!

Reactions: MetalRavioli

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Good of you.
Curiosity - What is the origin of your name?
By the way, I used to live in Massachusetts and worked in Providence, RI. I miss the Boston Aquarium Society, and a number of LFSs between those two places.
Cheers!
The Boston Aquarium society is awesome! Funny you mention that, I’m in Boston currently and am right near the aquarium! Mass has a ton of awesome LFS’s, I live a minute down the street from one. Have you ever been to Uncle Neds? That place is legendary!

My username comes from a writing community I’m a part of, I was thinking of a username and I happened to be eating pasta, and thought to myself “what if pasta was made of metal?” one thing lead to another, MetalRavioli was born.

Reactions: Jexnell

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Got it MetalRavioli!
Yes, Uncle Neds was one of my definite sources for many an unusual fish, as well as bread'n butter stuff. A couple of stores in Providence (forgot names) were pretty good too.
BASociety. Yes, I miss that. I met Scott Dowd (Projecto Piaba) there, as well and many cool people, and got many cool dish plants and stuff at the monthly meetings. I was in the area from 1997-2003 so it has been a long time. Close to where I actually lived (Sharon, MA), were the headquarters of Hagen (now Fluval) and enjoyed meeting people there too. Also Ken's Fish in Tauton.
I am happy where I am now, but miss those connections and times.

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Got it MetalRavioli!
Yes, Uncle Neds was one of my definite sources for many an unusual fish, as well as bread'n butter stuff. A couple of stores in Providence (forgot names) were pretty good too.
BASociety. Yes, I miss that. I met Scott Dowd (Projecto Piaba) there, as well and many cool people, and got many cool dish plants and stuff at the monthly meetings. I was in the area from 1997-2003 so it has been a long time. Close to where I actually lived (Sharon, MA), were the headquarters of Hagen (now Fluval) and enjoyed meeting people there too. Also Ken's Fish in Tauton.
I am happy where I am now, but miss those connections and times.
Uncle Neds is the bomb, I go there and to All Things Aquatic in Foxborough for my supplies, fish and plants most of the time. I newer to the hobby so I haven’t been to as many places, however I plant to! All Things Aquatic is a great place, as you can request them to get fish in stock for you! I went there the other day to drop off the pleco i mentioned earlier, and to visit my Senegal Bichir they’re holding for me. I asked if they could get a leopard bush fish and some keyhole cichlids in stock for me, and they were right on it! Great place, really underrated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store