Paddlefish

Ozarker

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2011
NW Arkansas
I agree this is a special fish not suited to the casual aquarist and I don't remember ever seeing them in the "trade" in my over 50 years in the hobby. They are however an aquacultured species and I see no reason why experienced, well-informed fishkeepers can not help add to the body of knowledge of this fascinating fish.

grow up to 5feet, and can be 50 years old. a fish in my opiniun that should not be in the aquarium trade

Ozarker

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2011
NW Arkansas
Not sure I'd go so far as to call it idiotic, and it's hard to tell from the video how big they are (maybe 3-4"?) but it does seem a bit crowded. It could be argued that temporarily limiting space makes food location easier and helps with training to take pellets but I would be concerned about rostrum damage. If you read the full thread, he did eventually move some into a 75 with plans to move them into larger quarters as needed. At last report he had them for over a year.

If by "organic material" you mean zooplankton, paddlefish are trained to take pellets and frozen foods. There's no reason why bioload can't be handled with proper attention to filtration and water changes.

8 paddlefish in a 30 would be idiotic, paddlefish get huge and need lots of organic material in the water. they would most likely die

snot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2009
colorado
These if and when I get them (lots of hoops to jump thru to make it happen) will eventually go out in a big koi pond in backyard once they out grow tanks in house. And yes that can live in ponds just fine. There some living in sewage plants in oklahoma

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ozarker

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2011
NW Arkansas
Anyone see Monster Fish on NGW tonight? It's a rerun of last year's episode about paddlefish showing the impact (no surprise) of dams on spawning behavior, a sting operation on poachers and a self-sustaining population on the upper Missouri River, estimated at 20,000 fish, including 20 year olds (oldest documented is 60 years old) and a 77 lb, 6 foot female. Record is 185 lbs. Awesome fish!

watsontony

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I have read several forums on other websites claiming they had "dwarf" paddlefish staying around 18". The author had several fingerlings. I have never heard of this, have any of you?

watsontony

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I thought as much. That terribly sad.

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
behind my iMac.... Southampton UK.
it would be so easy to create the required stress level to seriously effect a young paddle thats why they should not be tanked! glass, square sides and less that 10,000 gal and you are simple cruel to consider it... :screwy:

and no that doesn't mean its ok to buy one and say but ima build a huge round sided pond... if you want it i expect you to front and have the setup in place first or its just some kind of sick joke end of...

Ozarker

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2011
NW Arkansas
Isn't this forum for Monster Fish Keepers? I for one have the appropriate housing: 125, 250, 1,000 gal. tanks, and outdoors a 5,000 gal pond and a 1 acre pond (approx.100,000 gal).

When you say "they should not be tanked! glass, square sides and less that 10,000 gal" are you speaking from personal experience? If not can you point me towards research to validate your statement? I have seen them in public aquaria (Shedd, Atlanta) in square-sided, glass fronted tanks of, I believe, less than 10,000 gal.

As I originally posted, I would like to hear from folks with actual experience keeping paddlefish.

Reactions: Asianbucketbrigade

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
behind my iMac.... Southampton UK.
searchpaddles fish here mate... they cant swim backkwards, how the hell do they get out of a corner with that bill... once bigger thats a diff story one would hope they had the sense to no swim into the corner... but there are lots of documented accounts of young paddlefish being very skittish in glass tanks, getting stuck in corners or just simply breaking there bills, sometimes leading to miss shaped bills or even death in the worst case.

how high is your water flow in pond? do you have any experiance with filter feeders and the requires filtration to cope and deal with it?
what shape is your pond? what depth..?

vol means sod all with out appropriate designing to deal with a fish like this... and what they do at shed is one thing, they are not private hobbyest they have the resorces and experiance to deal with that fish....

and before you say it, 1. my earlier post was rushed. and 2. im dyslexic and this laptop has no right click, so ill appologise for blatent spelling mistakes....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store