Paratilapia polleni

MooseTheWizard

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Canada
I have had some friends say I should do threads for some of my more interesting fish. I know this guy isn't exactly rare, but they're quite uncommon in my area and I see a lot of people asking for information about them.

I picked this guy up several months ago now (don't remember when, I'll have to dig up his receipt later on) and this pic is one of the earliest I took of him.

baby.jpg

I had been looking into these fish and found one by chance at a local store. $15 later he was mine.

He is now quite the beast, but still has quite some growing to do. He is housed with 5 rope fish, 1 P. teugelsi, 1 P. weeksii, 1 P. senegalus, and 1 P. delhezi in a 125 gallon tank (72"x18" footprint).

Here is a video showing all of my tanks in which this fish is shown.

Rhykiru

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
VA
Very nice fish, would love to see more pictures. I just got a 1.5" one two weeks ago from my LFS for $9. He was the only polleni in the tank and was unlabeled but his eye color/pattern was a dead giveaway. I'm excited to see him grow! Still very shy of me right now though while in quarantine.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Mine was labeled as "Paratilapia bleekeri" at the LFS, so I'm not sure if I'll ever know for sure exactly what it is. My understanding is that Paratilapia bleekeri is a defunct name for the "large spot" variety, which mine certainly is not.

MooseTheWizard

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Canada
The small spot variety is more common and are regularly captive bred as far as I know. Most polleni I see are small spot. I’ll throw some more pics up this week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store