krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
No apology needed,its your thread and you can "drag it on" as long as you feel you that you have to....as for the scomb,it could attempt to eat the hujeta at some point if it grows big enough to regard it as food.I'm not sure about just how big they can grow to.I've only heard of them dropping dead after reaching a certain size.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Most scombs get to 12inches then die. Hope it’s better for you.

Yes like krich said it can look at the hujeta as a meal. Keep an eye out.

Reactions: RocketGarStar

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Drag.......drag......lol

Reactions: RocketGarStar

RocketGarStar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan
No apology needed,its your thread and you can "drag it on" as long as you feel you that you have to....as for the scomb,it could attempt to eat the hujeta at some point if it grows big enough to regard it as food.I'm not sure about just how big they can grow to.I've only heard of them dropping dead after reaching a certain size.
Here's an update - the gar is completely passive and never bothers any of his other tank mates, and the Payara is about 5 days in the tank, and I came home today to notice two long, very distinctive splits in my gar's tail...
I'm pretty sure the 4 inch payara attacked the eye spot tail of my 7 inch hujeta today, thinking it was a smaller fish. Do you think that was possible? I'm going to watch them very closely now, I don't want to lose either.

RocketGarStar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Most scombs get to 12inches then die. Hope it’s better for you.

Yes like krich said it can look at the hujeta as a meal. Keep an eye out.
haha - just before sitting down at my desk to read these I was in the fish room and saw two splits down the hujeta's tail fin, spaced the same as lil payara's teet. Dear God.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The scomb probably is the culprit,mine have always been peaceful towards all but the smallest fish.

Reactions: Matteus and kno4te

RocketGarStar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan
The scomb probably is the culprit,mine have always been peaceful towards all but the smallest fish.
*sigh* ... I knew the eyespot could be trouble. Weirdly enough, the last payara I had (I think it was an armatus) was way bigger, at least 5 inches, and never attacked anyone. I guess the new baby is a spunky bugger... I don't have any tanks that either the hujeta nor the payara won't devastate. I have a 29 gallon with diamond tetras, guppies, a lavender gourami, and kribs, and a 10 with breeder guppies. I'll watch them and if anything goes wrong, the scomb is going back to the LFS. Sad, really.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
*sigh* ... I knew the eyespot could be trouble. Weirdly enough, the last payara I had (I think it was an armatus) was way bigger, at least 5 inches, and never attacked anyone. I guess the new baby is a spunky bugger... I don't have any tanks that either the hujeta nor the payara won't devastate. I have a 29 gallon with diamond tetras, guppies, a lavender gourami, and kribs, and a 10 with breeder guppies. I'll watch them and if anything goes wrong, the scomb is going back to the LFS. Sad, really.
I have never had a hujeta so I would probably go that route as well.Perhaps you could find a small odoe to hang out with it.

RocketGarStar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I have never had a hujeta so I would probably go that route as well.Perhaps you could find a small odoe to hang out with it.
I'd keep the scomb and not the gar if I hadn't raised the gar since it was pretty much a fry. Ugh, I'm going to keep watching them for signs of predatory behavior against my gar, AND I'll be stalking every fish store within 100 miles for an odoe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store