Peaceful cichlid for 55 gallon?

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
Looking for another active fish for my 55 gallon tank. I have loved my electric blue acara and was wondering what other species of cichlid have similar behavior to eba. I have some ideas but was wondering if anyone has personal experience with any fish they would recommend. Thanks in advance :)

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
What other fish are you keeping in the 55? What is your water hardness and pH like?
Herotilapia Multispinosa is a great cichlid for a small to mid sized tank. They are pretty passive, won't bother smaller tankmates
ph is around 7.6 I forget the exact hardness but it was under 20. The stock atm is Eba, smallscale archerfish, hoplo catfish, Mytus myticetus, Ossancora punctata, and a l239 pleco.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Nice selection of catfish. I think your tank would be fine for herotilapia multispinosa. Though, mixing more cichlids with your EBA might pose a challenge in a 55 especially since your EBA is already in the tank, and will consider it his territory. If you do give it a shot, I would rearrange the tank when you add the new fish, to hopefully trick the EBA into thinking he is not on his home turf.

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
Nice selection of catfish. I think your tank would be fine for herotilapia multispinosa. Though, mixing more cichlids with your EBA might pose a challenge in a 55 especially since your EBA is already in the tank, and will consider it his territory. If you do give it a shot, I would rearrange the tank when you add the new fish, to hopefully trick the EBA into thinking he is not on his home turf.
Thanks for suggestion, I love the color on the rainbow cichlid. I was also thinking about krobia xinguensis

Just one more questions. In your opinion would that fully stock the tank or could I add one more 3-5 inch pleco?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
The Krobia would likely do fine as well if you can find them, though the pH may be on the higher end of their spectrum. Many fish can adapt within reason though. I'd call that fully stocked on a 55. On the heavy side for sure if you get a group of the other cichlid species, which I recommend, as 2 cichlids in a tank rarely works out IMO. Especially if both fish are males, one will bully the other to death after a while. There are exceptions of course but I find this is mostly true. I'd get 4 of the other species, and depending on genders you get, sell some after a while, or perhaps keep them all if you get a male and 3 females.

Reactions: Iamfish

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
The Krobia would likely do fine as well if you can find them, though the pH may be on the higher end of their spectrum. Many fish can adapt within reason though. I'd call that fully stocked on a 55. On the heavy side for sure if you get a group of the other cichlid species, which I recommend, as 2 cichlids in a tank rarely works out IMO. Especially if both fish are males, one will bully the other to death after a while. There are exceptions of course but I find this is mostly true. I'd get 4 of the other species, and depending on genders you get, sell some after a while, or perhaps keep them all if you get a male and 3 females.
Maybe I should get 3-4 laetacara dorsigera to not overstock since they don't get as big?

Reactions: Gourami Swami

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Could I keep just 2 cichlids if they are both females? My eba is a female and I could buy a sexed of another species.

It's not a guarantee that it will work because Cichlids will always establish an hierarchy. Like what was stated earlier a mild aggressive specie.

Reactions: Iamfish

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
It's not a guarantee that it will work because Cichlids will always establish an hierarchy. Like what was stated earlier a mild aggressive specie.
Alright, I didn't end up getting the pleco so hopefully I can add 2 cichlids without overstocking

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store