Peacock Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi set up

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Hi guys,

Just set up a tank dedicated to these guys. I have 2 x males and 9 x females.
I plan to try my hand at breeding them at some point. Currently they are all about 7cm (just under 3 inches).
Each male has established a territory at each end of the aquarium, so everyone seems to be getting along fine for now. They had a scuffle when I first set up the tank but both are pretty dominant and didn't back down and now appear to tolerate each other.

My questions:
- Will keeping two males work? What size aquarium would you recommend if not?
- When should I move them out the current set up (40 gal)? - the tank is over filtered with an internal and external filter and I always use loads of pothos - had to delay my most recent water change (10 days) and my readings were NH4: 0, NO2: 0, NO3: <10. IMG_20181027_230451.jpg IMG_20181027_230548.jpg IMG_20181027_230555.jpg IMG_20181027_230639.jpg IMG_20181027_230645.jpg

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I believe there are enough females and just enough room for two males. You will enjoy the hobby more with a bigger tank. Sooner or later you're going to want other varieties of Peacocks or Haps. Might as well plan your next move into a 90 - 125 gal. Tank.

Reactions: mattybecks

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I believe there are enough females and just enough room for two males. You will enjoy the hobby more with a bigger tank. Sooner or later you're going to want other varieties of Peacocks or Haps. Might as well plan your next move into a 90 - 125 gal. Tank.
Thanks. I was thinking of making my 130gal an African set up with some yellow labs and these guys. I have Geos in there at the moment, but I really enjoy them too. Maybe I can shift things around and fit yet another tank in my apt haha

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
A 75 would work once they get bigger. Jakes are usually one of the more aggressive peacocks, the 2 males might work, or the dominant male could decide it's time for the weaker male to go. I would do 1 or 3 males, this should take the dominant fish's attention away from one particular male.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
A 75 would work once they get bigger. Jakes are usually one of the more aggressive peacocks, the 2 males might work, or the dominant male could decide it's time for the weaker male to go. I would do 1 or 3 males, this should take the dominant fish's attention away from one particular male.
Ok thanks for the advice... I'll keep an eye on the males closely. I had three but had the remove the one recently as he was picked on and confined to the top corner of the tank above the powerhead.

Reactions: tlindsey

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I have always found Jakes to be aggressive, more so as they age. I owned a large brute that as he got up in age killed any/all females in his tank. He sat in his cave, came out to eat, and thrashed anything that made the mistake of entering his lair. I don't think that keeping these two males in a 40 is going to last long, and eventually I would plan on a six foot tank with cave structures at each end, and line of sight breaks in the middle. I would purposely define each males territory for them, just to reduce the chances of one male crossing over to the others side.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I have always found Jakes to be aggressive, more so as they age. I owned a large brute that as he got up in age killed any/all females in his tank. He sat in his cave, came out to eat, and thrashed anything that made the mistake of entering his lair. I don't think that keeping these two males in a 40 is going to last long, and eventually I would plan on a six foot tank with cave structures at each end, and line of sight breaks in the middle. I would purposely define each males territory for them, just to reduce the chances of one male crossing over to the others side.
If it goes this route then ill have to remove the males and keep an all female tank. Have you had/ know anyone who has had experience with an all female tank? I'm guessing there would be no aggression issues and it would be quite a peaceful tank. 40 gal would be ok then?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store