staten island new york
haha

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
piranha45 said:
Or maybe people just aren't keeping them in the aquarium sizes they need... perhaps the small peacock bass found in the aquaria are a sign that 240g is not suitable for life, for Temensis at the very least. Only speculation, since I have no hard evidence, but I think its still a very viable argument.

xrtg a 125g would prolly work for a year or two, depending on your peacock's specie... since you're in singapore, I don't have any clue whether temensis is regularly available there or not. Temensis is the biggest specie, which can reach 3 feet. The other two species available, ocellaris and monoculus, max around 2 feet.
Firstly, I agree with P45 most of the time Pbass are not given a suitable tank size in the first place.

e!o!z! said:
size of a tank even a huge tank like 1000 gallons does not come even close to the miles of river that fish in the wild have to roam. That is the major reason the second would be volume of food. Your tank would be a consist mess if you tried to feed the fish like it eats in the wild.
But if given a big tank, and 1000g is not a big tank for a Pbass, Imo depending on the footprint 1000g would be fine for a Pbass, what I am talking about is a really big tank, then the possiblity for a captive Pbass to grow as big as a wild one is definately there. Sure swimming room will be more restricted than the wild but quality and quantities of food could be greater and better than the wild, not to mention more frequent, and about filters not handling the bio-load is totaly false, there are filters that will get nutrients in the water to match or even lower than the wild. :)

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
e!o!z! said:
size of a tank even a huge tank like 1000 gallons does not come even close to the miles of river that fish in the wild have to roam. That is the major reason the second would be volume of food. Your tank would be a consist mess if you tried to feed the fish like it eats in the wild.

Incorrect.

Cichla dont migrate. They dont "Use up" the entire river.

Do you use the entire world to walk around? NO, you walk around your house and drive to the store.

Cichla set up large territories. Just as most cichlids.

As long as the cichla has room to swim around and "jolt" in times of feeding, thats all the room they need. a 2000-3000gallon tank is perfect. Although a 5000gallon tank would be the best idea if you had unlimited funds.

Also- Captive raised fish eat more then wild fish. Unless of course you moderate their feeding.. something I dont recomend with cichla, especially while they are under 12 inches.

swiming space does not limit growth UNLESS its in the extremes.. such as 100gallon tanks or smaller. Even then, Temp, Water quality, and Food are the limiting factors in growth.

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
The TRUST said:
ashdavid,

that would be very cool if you get into Peacock Bass. Seeing so many nice specimens in Japan you are lucky to have to have so many nice rare specimens available to you there.
I am seriously considering it, the only problem is that I a bit worried about them eating my firemouths and convicts ect. I agree with you there, we have some of the rarest fish here, it is unbelieveable. :)

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
PeacockBass said:
As long as the cichla has room to swim around and "jolt" in times of feeding, thats all the room they need. a 2000-3000gallon tank is perfect. Although a 5000gallon tank would be the best idea if you had unlimited funds.
If I had unlimited funds I would not be stoping at 5000g's!LOL :drool: Sorry for the extra post. :topic:

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
hahah either would I brother, either would I.

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
anybody keeps this type of pb? looks nice. :drool:

i don't think my small buggers will look like this..

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
xrtg said:
anybody keeps this type of pb? looks nice. :drool:

i don't think my small buggers will look like this..

that is cichla orinocensis.

yes a few people are keeping these.

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
PeacockBass said:
that is cichla orinocensis.

yes a few people are keeping these.

do you happen to know any links or writeups on these amazing fish? i'd like to read more about it. :)

thanks in advance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store