Peacock Bass

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
Ask me anyquestions you have.

I will be glad to tell you everything about these fish.

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
PeacockBass said:
Ask me anyquestions you have.

I will be glad to tell you everything about these fish.

how old will they have to grow till they mature? and how big would they be by then. :)

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
xrtg said:
how old will they have to grow till they mature? and how big would they be by then. :)

It is said to be around 2-3 years for sexual maturity.

The size will varry depending on diet and tank size. But expect a 15+ inch fish.

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
PeacockBass said:
It is said to be around 2-3 years for sexual maturity.

The size will varry depending on diet and tank size. But expect a 15+ inch fish.
thanks. 15+ inches is good

from that we would only be able to tell the males from the females at maturity? or can we tell them earlier. :)

Mr_Fantasy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
I've a 6" Emperpr bass, & i think it is an amazing fish. For a start, it is veri hardly, and seems 2 do well in any water condition. I'm having it alone in a 2 ft tank tank 4 the time being, b4 transferring it 2 my 4ft. It is super territorial, and can't stand tankmates.

It was most fascinating come feeding time. I feed my bass feeder catfishes. The bass just engulfs its prey with such speed, and precision. It'll gorge itself full after each feeding.

Right now, I'm hoping its colour & design will turn out better as it grows bigger.

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
Mr_Fantasy said:
I've a 6" Emperpr bass, & i think it is an amazing fish. For a start, it is veri hardly, and seems 2 do well in any water condition. I'm having it alone in a 2 ft tank tank 4 the time being, b4 transferring it 2 my 4ft. It is super territorial, and can't stand tankmates.

It was most fascinating come feeding time. I feed my bass feeder catfishes. The bass just engulfs its prey with such speed, and precision. It'll gorge itself full after each feeding.

Right now, I'm hoping its colour & design will turn out better as it grows bigger.
wow. an emperor bass. do you have any pictures of it? i'm still growing my tiny tiny peacock bass. hope they'll grow up real soon so that i can add them into my main tank. :)

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
xrtg said:
thanks. 15+ inches is good

from that we would only be able to tell the males from the females at maturity? or can we tell them earlier. :)

15+ for sexual maturity... NOT max size... Cichla Orinocensis is the second largest and usually reaches sizes comparable to Temensis... 28-36 inches.

You can easily vent these fish at around 12 inches IME.

There isnt much difference in color. unless they are spawning.

The TRUST

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2005
Miami, FL
ashdavid said:
I am seriously considering it, the only problem is that I a bit worried about them eating my firemouths and convicts ect. I agree with you there, we have some of the rarest fish here, it is unbelieveable. :)
U can't be serious????? You're worrying about firemouths and convicts???? Convicst are like a plague. they breed like almost non stop. Once you get some big Cichlas in there you'll forget about them. Might actually be cool watching the Peacock bass hunt them down. hehehehe

Koji

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Singapore
The TRUST said:
U can't be serious????? You're worrying about firemouths and convicts???? Convicst are like a plague. they breed like almost non stop. Once you get some big Cichlas in there you'll forget about them. Might actually be cool watching the Peacock bass hunt them down. hehehehe
OMG!!!:eek:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store