Pearls on the Rise

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Funny you say this, but the 60k hybrid rays that you are talking about, what do those look like? Do they look like high end pure black diamonds or something else?
Usually look like either massive big spots or a pearl BD hybrid
I agree with most of that. Black and white will almost always command more. Pure big spot BD's do command serious $$$. Although like 99% of them the spots shrink, eclipse and break once adulthood is reached.
I disagree however that any other hybrid is cheaper than common average BD, no matter what continent it's on. You can get mid grade average BD's in Asia now for almost nothing because they are so common and over produced. It's the hybrid breeders that are being able to offer something new to buyers who are killing it right now. I'm not saying in every single case hybrids are more than pure. I never said that. It's the exceptional ones no matter what the mix is that command the most money. In those cases does it matter what color it is? No.
This fish isn't even white yet asking price is more than any pure BD I have ever seen.
View attachment 1274312
am I color blind or is that black and white? That's the pearl bd hybrid I mentioned. I've seen a few with that style. Seen a few nice ones in person as well

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Funny you say this, but the 60k hybrid rays that you are talking about, what do those look like? Do they look like high end pure black diamonds or something else?
I agree with most of that. Black and white will almost always command more. Pure big spot BD's do command serious $$$. Although like 99% of them the spots shrink, eclipse and break once adulthood is reached.
I disagree however that any other hybrid is cheaper than common average BD, no matter what continent it's on. You can get mid grade average BD's in Asia now for almost nothing because they are so common and over produced. It's the hybrid breeders that are being able to offer something new to buyers who are killing it right now. I'm not saying in every single case hybrids are more than pure. I never said that. It's the exceptional ones no matter what the mix is that command the most money. In those cases does it matter what color it is? No.
This fish isn't even white yet asking price is more than any pure BD I have ever seen.
View attachment 1274312
am I color blind or is that black and white? That's the pearl bd hybrid I mentioned. I've seen a few with that style. Seen a few nice ones in person as well. Really look like top quality rays. Nothing you ever really see. Amazing.

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
am I color blind or is that black and white? That's the pearl bd hybrid I mentioned. I've seen a few with that style. Seen a few nice ones in person as well
Not white.... they blast the fish with super bright white light for the photos to wash it out to make it look whiter than it is... Even with all that you can tell it's brownish.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Not white.... they blast the fish with super bright white light for the photos to wash it out to make it look whiter than it is... Even with all that you can tell it's brownish.
Here's another one. Yes there is a slight brown tinge but I'm sure it fades as it matures. This one to me clearly looks like it will be white. Pearlxbd hybrid

IMG_4372.JPG

Reactions: scott s and giar

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Here's another one. Yes there is a slight brown tinge but I'm sure it fades as it matures. This one to me clearly looks like it will be white. Pearlxbd hybrid

View attachment 1274756
This is still a young fish. I would say it has a very high chance of turning brown as an adult. However it could also look white, but much higher chance to become brown imo. Also look, the ray is on a white base, being blasted with very white light. For the photo.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I will buy from jettefrances17 jettefrances17 pure BD here in states vs those supposed pure BD from Asia (which most are more than likely hybrids crossed with Hens and back to BD ) any day of the week.

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
After all from what I have seen here in Europe all prices have dropped by a **** ton.

Pearls are cheap as **** around here, you can almost get them for free because nobody (literally) wants to buy them.

Albinos? Again, prices dropped by a lot compared to like 2-3 years ago when they were more rare - however still expensive (obviously).

BDs? Same stuff here, prices dropped. Only the very top quality of BDs still cost a lot, the "normal"/decent looking BDs have dropped a lot. You can easily get a trio (1/2) of pretty good looking BDs for as little as about $800-1000.

Hybrids? Well, with hybrids it only depends on their looks anyway and the really good ones can easily cost more than a good pure BD, but they are rare to find and lots of them look sick when pups and turn out worse than what you hoped for.

This BD male cost me about 600 bucks and he's got very, very stunning parents - I see him as high quality (although not highest).

male.png

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
I can only speak about the prices in indonesia

- motoro is around 100 USD or less per-pair
- pearl is around 200 USD or more per-pair
- leo is around 300 USD or less per-pair
- low to mid grade BD is around 800-1,000 USD per-pair
- high grade BD is around 1000-1500 USD per pair

For hybrids, the prices vary greatly. But a high quality hybrid cost around 1000-1500 USD per pair

No one breed albinos as far as im aware of here in indonesia. so i think it is a good business for now to breed albinos. Lol

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I guess scott s scott s caught wind of the rise of the pearls. Great pick up absolutely stunning pair you got

Reactions: SHARK13
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store