Pearsei need help asap

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sorry this happened to you. Best of luck frank and hope it recovers.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Its not surprising when vegetarian fish go for high value protein to their own detriment, they seem to be programed to take advantage of it whenever its available, because in nature it just isn't that available, especially because pearsei are inept predators . They are more like the cattle of the cichlid group, eating a lot of seemingly low value foods, and processing them slowly (maybe to take advantage of micronutrients.

Its kind of like feeding cattle corn, so they grow fat quickly, but develop intestinal diseases because the pH in their stomach becomes too acidic, causing infection. Then we have to give them give antibiotics to stop the infections, which in turn produce super bugs like E coli 157, that in the end can kill us.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Its not surprising when vegetarian fish go for high value protein to their own detriment, they seem to be programed to take advantage of it whenever its available, because in nature it just isn't that available, especially because pearsei are inept predators . They are more like the cattle of the cichlid group, eating a lot of seemingly low value foods, and processing them slowly (maybe to take advantage of micronutrients.

Its kind of like feeding cattle corn, so they grow fat quickly, but develop intestinal diseases because the pH in their stomach becomes too acidic, causing infection. Then we have to give them give antibiotics to stop the infections, which in turn produce super bugs like E coli 157, that in the end can kill us.
What sucks is i knew how important veggies where to them and was really on top of it prior to the move. 6 months of only seeing the family on the weekends put this on the back burner then not being vigilant on breaking his will was just laziness. I figured he'd be ok with the mostly algea max diet. He wont touch any of the meaty food the bichirs eat. Thx for the advice btw

Reactions: tlindsey

Yaponchik

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2019
SEA
I hope he pulls through my friend, I really do. Specially if there is attachment of a little human being to young to understand what the circle of life is. I know the dread that's building up inside.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Yrs ago i had some roselines come down with dropsey and to me the pearsei doesnt look to be pineconing much. If this were swim bladder disease would i follow the same course of treatment ?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I took a real close look and there are no raise scales what so over. The fish cant stay buoyant. I know very little regarding swim bladder other than adding epsom salt. If this is swim blader could the kanaplex be doing more harm the good ?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014

My guy.

This really doesnt resemble what i went through with the roselines

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Can u move to another tank or plastic tote with a low water level? See if it can stay upright. Can wedge the fish with decor or plants if needed. Fish like that will stress surely.

If bacteria is a cause then swim bladder can be cured with kanaplex. Time will tell. Keeping the fish upright will also aid in getting it better.

Reactions: Matteus

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
No matter how low i drop the level his tail end doesnt stay down without exposing a good portion of his back aide to air.

Best i could come up with.

Unfortunately the fish didnt make it through the night. Thanks for all the assistance guys
20190320_051512.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store