Perfect cichlid for 75 gallons

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
You need to decide what you want.
You seem to keep changing your mind with every suggestion.

You can't keep a GT with another smaller cichlid in a 75 at least not long term, as when it grows up it will kill the other fish.
A blue acara or a Electric Blue Jack Demsey or a Jewel are good options. You could try a combo of any two of these fish, but you will need to provide hiding places for them and also keep a small tank handy if the conflict gets serious and be prepared to return one of them, if they start to have serious fights.

A few bichir experts seem to think you can keep a couple of them in there, so you might be able to do Bichir with a cichlid or two, but then you will need to have good filtration (biological and mechnical) and be regular with your water changes.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Possibly a ebjd with a jewel or other medium sized cichlid?
what is your quandary here? a while ago you wanted 3 bichirs, then 2 bichirs and a cichlid, now its two cichlids? i feel like you're messing with us now.

i think your jewel cichlids are a good idea. you dont see a lot of people with a nice pair of hemichromis and they would fit your tank well.

i would look for tankmates that are endemic to the same locales the jewels are--west african. not sure which bichirs overlap but i think a senegal would be a good match. then you could probably have a shoal of dithers to help with movement and fill out your tank. like i said earlier congo tetras are a good option but if you could find some brycinus long finned tetras i think they would be show stoppers. you could even throw in an oddball like african butterflyfish.

this would be a really neat african tank and well within the means if your tank size.

ebjd are not the easiest fish to keep. ive heard a lot of nightmare stories about the genetic disposition and high death rates before maturity. perhaps in a few years there will be some stronger strains on the market.

Reactions: jaws7777

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
convict or salvini spring to mind, maybe a JD since they hide, but I suspect that's probably a lot to do with tank sizes for them being too small tbh

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
what is your quandary here? a while ago you wanted 3 bichirs, then 2 bichirs and a cichlid, now its two cichlids? i feel like you're messing with us now.

i think your jewel cichlids are a good idea. you dont see a lot of people with a nice pair of hemichromis and they would fit your tank well.

i would look for tankmates that are endemic to the same locales the jewels are--west african. not sure which bichirs overlap but i think a senegal would be a good match. then you could probably have a shoal of dithers to help with movement and fill out your tank. like i said earlier congo tetras are a good option but if you could find some brycinus long finned tetras i think they would be show stoppers. you could even throw in an oddball like african butterflyfish.

this would be a really neat african tank and well within the means if your tank size.

ebjd are not the easiest fish to keep. ive heard a lot of nightmare stories about the genetic disposition and high death rates before maturity. perhaps in a few years there will be some stronger strains on the market.
The saga continues...........
This is actually a really good suggestion, I think you should go for it.
Is your tank actually set up, cycled and ready to go?
Once it's done and you want to relax and enjoy your efforts I suggest you don't order a pizza as the shop will be closed by the time you work out what toppings you want

Reactions: Backfromthedead
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store