Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
He has no gravel.

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
From what you have said (OP), you had crushed coral substrate that you recently removed - which caused your pH issues. By removing the crushed coral you removed the source of your pH increase and pH stability. You have also said that you have been removing only a portion of the crushed coral with every water change. Well, if your water is acidic and you are continually decreasing the amount of crushed coral in the tank, then your pH is going to drop. Sounds to me like you need the crushed coral substrate, if you want to have a high pH.

As for needing a high pH. If your fish do best in a higher (more alkaline) pH tank then I would suggest doing what you can to keep the pH high, but without chemicals. Only use limestone, crushed coral, etc. Using chemicals sets you up for a pH crash. But as others have said, most aquarium fish are tank raised and are not bred and raised in perfect water conditions. It is more important to keep the pH constant than for it to be continually changing.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Another thing that can be leading to this mess is CO2 build up from all of those fish (assuming they are adult sizes). Is the tank top open? Is there a way for the proper gas exchange to be happening at the water surface?

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Another thing that can be leading to this mess is CO2 build up from all of those fish (assuming they are adult sizes). Is the tank top open? Is there a way for the proper gas exchange to be happening at the water surface?
+1. Very good point. Possible not enough aeration

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store