Phase Two Started

honda237

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
kalamazoo, Michigan
Egon;3961399; said:
LOL To be honest it's too deep! It looks great but almost impossible to get anything done on the bottom of the tank. I actually got a professional snake grabber to get stuff off the bottom of the tank, dead fish, suction cups, and so on. 30" deep is the perfect depth. If I ever order a new tank, 36" will be the deepest I go, period.
That is a very tall tank, I'm only 5'8", and my 230g is 30" tall, i have to stand on a chair, on my tiptoes and reach as hard as i can to reach the bottom. its a pain.

Very cool tanks, I need to find a concrete slab, we have an old farm house with a dirt basement, loaded with supports for all my tanks.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Damn, all the pictures are gone :irked:

I'm sure hosting all these pictures starting getting expensive. Any tips on how to upload pictures?

Anyway, for the updates:
I started skinning the metal stand using magnets to secure the 3/4 ply to the stand. It seems to be working, it will be great for accessing the filters under the tank and also some sound suppression. Of course, hopefully it will look better!

Also I started adding a background. I don't like the laboratory look so I'm going for a more natural look and trying to hide all the plumbing. This is a 44" deep tank, I couldn't just order a background and glue it on like I did on my 450. So I'm cutting, sawing, and gluing an old background I had. Hopefully it looks good! We will see.............

Hey post 1000 woo hoo :)

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
This picture issue sucks! I downloaded albums and now I'm suppose to copy "tabs" to this thread? What's a tab? I can't seem to drag the pictures to this thread? :nilly:

I'm glad fish keeping and plumbing is so easy!

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
I know that if you upload the pictures to photobucket.com then copy the link then paste it here when you reply, the pics will show up.

and as far as the filtration goes, I am vey impressed. How are you going to fill the biotower? Are you just using bioballs? what about doing an algae scrubber in it?

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
snakeguy101;4155849; said:
I know that if you upload the pictures to photobucket.com then copy the link then paste it here when you reply, the pics will show up.

and as far as the filtration goes, I am vey impressed. How are you going to fill the biotower? Are you just using bioballs? what about doing an algae scrubber in it?[/QUOTE]

Yeah just bio balls and a layer of mat to pre filter that I can change easily.

Looks like I can add pics?

A few update pictures: The bio tower on the right side of the tank. It drops about 4 feet to a 55 gallon sump. Most of that drop is through bio balls, I need more! I skinned the metal stand with 3/4 ply with magnets to hold it in place. It's going to get painted or stained eventually. Mostly the skins are there for sound suppression.
Additionally I'm putting in a background to the tank. It's very tedious work. I have a few heaters and plumbing hidden behind the backdrop. I'm going to add some bubbler lines also. I think bubbles going 4 feet up the rock background will look cool. If not I'll turn em off.
I just got a bunch of OT so this will be put on hold again for another week :)

[ATTACH=full]493117[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]493118[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]493119[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]493120[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]493121[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]493122[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]493129[/ATTACH]

Attachments

KAWAMIKIE

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
Looking good!
Awesome idea with the magnets.
I'm going to use your idea on my 120's iron stand.

What happens if the pre filter in the bio ball chamber gets plugged up? Won't the water spill over? If you don't already have one you may want to think about adding a safety bypass pipe above the pre filter draining into the sump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store