PICKEREL TANK (Plant Info)

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
I'm a beginner when it comes to keeping live aquarium plants. I'm setting up a new tank to house some Redfin Pickerel. I want to add a good amount of live plants. What are some good US native plants or plants who do well in that environment that are easy to take care of ? Also I live in Illinois if I were to go to some local ponds,lakes etc.. and collect some plants on my own what should I look for? and when collecting wild plants how do I make sure they're non toxic,healthy and parasite free ?

Sorry if I'm not giving you guys to much to go on. Like I said I'm not very knowledgeable with plants.

- I appreciate the help

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'm a beginner when it comes to keeping live aquarium plants. I'm setting up a new tank to house some Redfin Pickerel. I want to add a good amount of live plants. What are some good US native plants or plants who do well in that environment that are easy to take care of ? Also I live in Illinois if I were to go to some local ponds,lakes etc.. and collect some plants on my own what should I look for? and when collecting wild plants how do I make sure they're non toxic,healthy and parasite free ?

Sorry if I'm not giving you guys to much to go on. Like I said I'm not very knowledgeable with plants.

- I appreciate the help

Welcome to MFK! P predatorfishkeeper

Last edited:
Reactions: PatrickMW36

Texas321

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
I have pickerel as well and all different kinds of live plants. They seem to like the grassy type of plants where they can kinda hide. I also have a bunch of Java moss spread out and they get under that too. You could also try some water lettuce I would imagine they would like the roots and to be under the cover of the floating plant. But in my experience really anything that they feel like they are hidden they seem to like.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
Cool I found a post on aqua bid for a assortment package with a bunch of stuff for cheap. I'm going to try some Bacopa monnieri,Dwarf Hairgrass,Dwarf Water Lettuce, Fairy Moss. Hopefully i can manage to take care of the plants!

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
I have pickerel as well and all different kinds of live plants. They seem to like the grassy type of plants where they can kinda hide. I also have a bunch of Java moss spread out and they get under that too. You could also try some water lettuce I would imagine they would like the roots and to be under the cover of the floating plant. But in my experience really anything that they feel like they are hidden they seem to like.
What type pick's do you have and how many?

Texas321

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Cool I found a post on aqua bid for a assortment package with a bunch of stuff for cheap. I'm going to try some Bacopa monnieri,Dwarf Hairgrass,Dwarf Water Lettuce, Fairy Moss. Hopefully i can manage to take care of the plants!
Plants are the hardest thing for me. I either have to much light or not enough light. Some plants I've been able to keep alive and great and others not so much. It's usually the ones them at everyone says is the easiest that I have trouble with.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
They are awesome fish. Did you float them if so how long?
As in floating them in the bag? Yes I did I keep the water level lower and felt the bag to get a sense of the temp then added more water. I let them sit for about 20 mins. I heard doing the drip type stuff etc is actually really bad to do. So just netted them out and put em in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store