Pike Cichlids!! WOOT!!

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
Peanut_Power said:
I responded to your thread about them Blue...they are Crenicichla lucius...check ur thread...TONS Of info!! ;)
me so sorry :(

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
First off...Batrachops is hardly ever used any more...its all Crenicichla now that i know of. Haven't heard that in a loooong time...lol. It helps when ur doin a search on fish if you spell it right too... ;) ... I did a search on Crenicichla semifasciata and not only came up with a lotta info, but also several pictures. They are uncommon, but they aren't quite rare just yet. Rapps gets them in from time to time and i know a few other online sites that actually sell them as well. They are crazy lookin pikes though, lol, that head is something ya gotta learn to love. Unique among pikes, thats for sure... ;)

driftwood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Denver, Colorado
i have a couple 5 inch Cobra pikes right now. Don't plan on gettin any others at the moment. i have tons of relatively mellow central americans and i don't think pikes would make good tank mates with my them. My cobra's are by themselves at the moment in a 100 gallon tank.

shekes

Jessica Rabbit
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
Toon Town
Some say "Crenicichla" it all, others argue that Frogheads aren't it and insist on "Batrachops" as more fitting. I do not have a personal preference. I just like the fish.

As for the info, where is it? There is only the basic: origins, temp, even the max size is often wrong.

With all the respect what is your point? I would never even dream of challenging your position as the Pike-King. I mainly joined the website in hope to get help from you Professor Peanut.

I am glad you liked my pics...

prm

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2005
the lfs
i have a Venezuela right now they are awesome fish I like em because of there elastic stomachs too

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
I am working on getting Crenichla Cincta Peru, at an adult size. I hope to get as many as possible.. :)

An interesting fact about pikes: The 'common' name for pike cichlids in Peru is 'Anashua'..

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
LoL!! I am by no means a the pike king. There are still many peeps out there that school me! Acenupe is a pimp when it comes to pikes! ;) Vin Kutty definately takes the cake in all cases as well....lol. Thats one of the disadvantages about the internet is that the information isn't always accurate. But that also means that there is the opportunity for us to change it...woot! Might take yaz a while to get all the info you need, but you could write a article on the froghead pike...that would be pimp! I've noticed several errors among other pike descriptions, so i hear your frustrations about them not gettin all the info you need...i found this little tidbit of info that is kinda interesting....hehe....about ur pikes... "Females lack suborbital marking and humeral spots. In addition, they sport wide red submarginal bands and a red band below the longitudinal line." They are also have the shortest snout of all the pikes. So you do have a very unique and special pike indeedY! More pictures! We really need to build up the pikes pictures data base cuz there just aren't enough out there. Mostly the juv. pictures since thats when its hardest to ID them, but adult pictures would be most helpful indeed! That Professor Peanut remark totally cracked me up! LoL!

Miles, those pikes are gonna be HUGE!! Cincta get larger than most pikes! LOL! You sure you wanna get in full grown adults? GEEZ! Since they are coming from Peru I'm gonna assume they are the Green banded color strain? If you can get in some of the blue banded ones...I'll have to get some! ;)

RTF....post the pics bro...we'll do our best to ID them...lol.

dragonball1012

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
california
marmorata
percna
cobra
lenticulata
xingu I
xingu II
xingu III