Pike Cichlids!! WOOT!!

shekes

Jessica Rabbit
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
Toon Town
WOW!

And "semifasciata"... ... male/female? What size? How old? what does it eat?

Tell more! Post pics!

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
I will be updating the XoticAquatix websites, perhaps I should make an information section about specific pike cichlid species.. You would be interested in writing articles and finding pics, P_P?

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
dragonball1012 said:
marmorata
percna
cobra
lenticulata
xingu I
xingu II
xingu III
red face
Cr. aff. "jegui"
atabapos (sold it)
johanna (sold it)
semifasciata

You SOLD your atabapos?! AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! LoL....good to see yaz here bro!! I bow down in respect....lol......love your collection. Hows the breedin coming along? I thought of a few things that might trigger it...;).....yes, definately pics of the 700gal..:D..or whatever it is...

dragonball1012

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
california
marms are digging again...female starting to get a little aggressive....
lents finally starting to show some signs...have u ever seen a 14-15 inches male before?

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Never heard of anthurus...unless it was under another name....hmm....interestin....get one in...i might just have to get one...as long as its not a Saxatilis pike... ;)

Dragon.....no I haven't seen a lent. that large. I've seen a 13" male and female marmorata though. They weren't that great lookin....it was at the ACA in a display 20gal tank...so they weren't happy at all. Still loved them too. They had a 12" lent. there as well...and a 10" Cincta. Very kewl all of them. Anyway, I was thinkin about what might trigger spawning. When I had my xingu III...they seemed to get in the mood after I had left the light on for too long. Like, I left the light on for 32 hrs or so once cuz i left and wasn't able to come back and shut it off. When i did come back and shut it off, the next mornin the female was doing her c-dance infronta the male and they cleaned a spot in their clay pot. I got them to lay eggs once.....but they all got fungus or sumptin. It was sortly after that that i got the ich epidemic...but point is, i really think light has a big factor in their breedin cycle... ;). I'd love to see some pictures of your pairs though! Your tankz is what inspired me to try and keep them together...granted i'm about 400gal short...but 300gal should be enough for at least three pairs i should think. I am a pike junkie...what can I say.

BTW...Rapps is gonna hold some marmoratas for me! WOOT! They are the Rio Tapajos ones....the NICE marms!! I'm slowly gonna build up my pike collection again. BTW...if you EVER get a chance to get any Atabapos again..lemme know cuz i will want some as well! Dieing to get some of those pikes! And if you weren't in Cali, i woulda definately bought those lents offa you....*sigh*...but you wouldn't ship...oh well! Gorgeous fish! Almost like lents. more than marms...almost...hehe...chaio

geeah

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
CANADA EH
I got my first pike about 3-4 months ago. he is a 2 spot pike and has grown from an inch to about 9-10'' in that time! He is with a green texas and some silver dollars and a pleco.He seems to get along very well with the pleco. Eats a lot but is pretty shy and hides out alot. I really wanted a johana or something like but the 2 spot was all I could find as a juvie.

I was woundering has anyone kept a pike with one of those freshwater baracuddas?

dragonball1012

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
california
i believe in ur theory, cos i have done so many things to get these guys to spawn...my garage door has windows in them and the tank gets a lot of sunlight, so i covered the whole tank thinking they need privacy, but once i take the cover out the marms goes crazy...even when i just leave the lights on at night the lents will start chasing the other pikes and the female goes crazy.....i had to do a lot of things to get the male to accept the female.....he never likes her and almost killed her twice...

the last time i measured my lent, which was about 6 months ago, he was pushing 14.5"...i think he grew at least an inch since then......i think the lents by far are the best pikes i have ever kept, but i love my marms too...

the marms the jeff has are exactly like mine...here's some older pics..

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
Some years ago I had an Orange Pike. Nice fish.

I am trying to breed a pair of C. compressiceps at the moment, aggresive little fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store