PIRANHA ISN'T EATING AND VERY STRESSED/RAPID GILL MOV.

Freddy Newandyke

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2017
Hello everyone,

I currently have 7 Red Belly Piranhas in a 75 gallon tank, all around 2.75 inches in length. I've recently experienced some fluctuations in the Ph in the water. I could tell that all of them were becoming more stressed/looked more lethargic, as well as stopped eating as much. After I corrected the water parameters, they all returned to their normal selves and looked happy again (Although they still don't seem to be eating as much). All of them but one. One piranha out of the seven looks even more stressed/lethargic/stagnant/rapid gill movement, etc. On top of this, I feel like all of the other healthy piranhas are occasionally attacking it, as I see torn fins and such. BTW the piranha looks very malnourished, and I haven't actually seen it eat for days. Overall, im very concerned about that seventh piranha and I desperately need to find a solution.

What do you think is going on? And how should I fix it?

Freddy Newandyke

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2017
UPDATE: Here are some pictures for you guys to look at. He may seem perfectly normal, but I could tell he's not swimming with the rest of the pack anymore, and he's not moving as much. Also, if you look closely, you can see flesh that has been ripped off right near where his mouth his (You can see the blood), presumably due to attacks buy the other piranhas.image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg image3.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
UPDATE: Here are some pictures for you guys to look at. He may seem perfectly normal, but I could tell he's not swimming with the rest of the pack anymore, and he's not moving as much. Also, if you look closely, you can see flesh that has been ripped off right near where his mouth his (You can see the blood), presumably due to attacks buy the other piranhas.View attachment 1346643

View attachment 1346642 View attachment 1346644

Attacking the weak and ill is a natural instinct. It sounds like you may be having water issue's. Tbh a 75 gallon is too small for the 7 Redbelly Piranha. What are you feeding the Redbelly's and what is your maintenance schedule? Please list your water parameters.

Freddy Newandyke

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2017
Attacking the weak and ill is a natural instinct. It sounds like you may be having water issue's. Tbh a 75 gallon is too small for the 7 Redbelly Piranha. What are you feeding the Redbelly's and what is your maintenance schedule? Please list your water parameters.
Water parameters are perfect. No Ammonia, low levels of Nitrates, etc. My maintenance schedule, on the other hand, has lots of room for improvement. I'm currently doing around 40% changes around every 3 weeks. I feed them 1 whole piece of baby squid every couple of days. Usually they would devour the squid within seconds, but recently they've been eating less and less.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Water parameters are perfect. No Ammonia, low levels of Nitrates, etc. My maintenance schedule, on the other hand, has lots of room for improvement. I'm currently doing around 40% changes around every 3 weeks. I feed them 1 whole piece of baby squid every couple of days. Usually they would devour the squid within seconds, but recently they've been eating less and less.

I like your honesty. I suggest doing weekly water changes 50% . Also I would feed the Redbelly cut peices of fish.

Freddy Newandyke

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2017
I like your honesty. I suggest doing weekly water changes 50% . Also I would feed the Redbelly cut peices of fish.
Okay I will try fish out. I guess the reason I haven't is because it clouds up the tank pretty bad and leaves alot of uneaten food floating around. And yes definitely I will now be doing 50% water changes per week. In your opinion, do you think he'll be able to survive and recover?

Reactions: tlindsey

Freddy Newandyke

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2017
+1. Maybe even separate if still not eating or gets beat up more.
Problem is I don't have a divider large enough for the 75 gallon. It does seem like the fighting has decreased, so it should be fine for now (I'll definietly keep my eyes peeled for further attacks though). My main priority is somehow allowing him to make a full physical recovery, and to start healthily swimming around with the rest of his mates.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Okay I will try fish out. I guess the reason I haven't is because it clouds up the tank pretty bad and leaves alot of uneaten food floating around. And yes definitely I will now be doing 50% water changes per week. In your opinion, do you think he'll be able to survive and recover?

Yes if seperated should recover.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store