Piranha Legality.

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
hey guys,
I have a hypothetical question here. Red Belly Piranhas are illegal in Washington state, which kinda bummed me out for obvious reasons. Then a friend of mine told me, "How is this a big deal? Who is gonna come into the house and look and check?"

I continued to do research, and I read that fines could be up to $10k or more.

My question is, what is there to stop me from illegally keeping piranhas? I could buy them out of state (rbp are legal in Oregon) and easily drive them across the border. What's out there that will enforce the law (other than that it gets out on social media or something and someone important sees and fines me)?

Thank you all in advance!

(and btw, I won't be keeping piranhas for a while. this is just me spectating into my future)

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Literally nothing. No one would ever know unless for some reason you had to let a cop or someone else into your house.
Unless you’re stupid and slip up no one else would have reason to know or even suspect you have one.

I am not encouraging this in any way shape or form nor is mfk.

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
Literally nothing. No one would ever know unless for some reason you had to let a cop or someone else into your house.
Unless you’re stupid and slip up no one else would have reason to know or even suspect you have one.

I am not encouraging this in any way shape or form nor is mfk.

yea I completely understand. as I said, this is JUST a hypothetical question. I don't plan on doing this. I was just interested in learning more.

• Haha
Reactions: islandguy11

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
Posting this is a good giveaway to make someone come looking ?‍♀

You never know who is on the forum, and you're putting a target on yourself with this post.
yea, i understand that im making myself a potential target. but i dont plan on doing anything illegal.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
It just comes down to if you want to risk the $10K fine. Most visitors to your house are unlikely to know the legality of your fish. If you don't post pics on social media and tell everyone "look at my illegal pirhana" then you are unlikely to get caught. Obviously if you are blabbing to everyone and have a fall out with a mate or a break up all they have to do is pick up the phone and call the relievant authorities in your area and it's all over.

Personally I wouldn't do it. Living in Australia with our strict laws I occasionally come across something illegal but I have seen what happens when someone is caught and can't be bothered or afford to go through that myself.

It's funny to me that with the variety of fish you guys have access to in the U.S compared to us that you still want what you shouldn't have, it's just human nature I guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store