Plant friendly larger cichlids?

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
The good ol' Jack Dempsey is an ambush predator in the wild, lurking in caves and plants. Mine seems to need them for security.
Thanks for the suggestion. This was actually one of my first choices. I've read that JD's can be hard on plants, but it may depend on the individual fish. Good to know that some people have luck with them.

I was going to suggest nics as I have a group of six and they do not mess with any plants. I also have severums and hoplarchus psittacus in the same tank and they also do not root around too much.
I like the idea of the true parrots. Anyone else have experience with hoplarchus psittacus in planted setups? I think that these guys look great and these will be a little easier for me to find.
Thanks, Indy.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Aquadens Metae is another good chioce (yellow acara). Severum and plants are not a good combination, I never had luck with them and plants.

IndyTexy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
Plainfield Indiana
I have had the opposite expierience with sevrums and plants. I have a group of super reds with Java ferns, giant hair grass, anacahris and a few swords and duckweed and they seem to enjoy hanging out in the leaves of the plants. I am sure there are different expieriences ..good luck.

Deep Blue Sea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
Alameda Ca
EBJD or Festae

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
Thanks for all the help guys.
I'm thinking of going with the true parrots and maybe a pike, but I'm still open to options. Sounds like many of the fish are kind of hit and miss with plants. I'll probably try them out in a smaller tank that's easier to replant before I introduce them into the big tank.
Thanks again everyone, and feel free to keep the suggestions coming; nothings set in stone yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store