Plant,landscape,and fungi thread

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
I have a tree in my backyard that bears some kind of berries.I think they are blackberries....no one else in the family eats them but I eat every one of them that I can reach lol.
Is it a Mulberry Tree? They look just like blackberries but are sweeter. I have a couple growing on my property. I eat the berries and feed the leaves to my Sulcata Tortoise as a treat.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Is it a Mulberry Tree? They look just like blackberries but are sweeter. I have a couple growing on my property. I eat the berries and feed the leaves to my Sulcata Tortoise as a treat.
I'm not sure.I'll have to look it up and get a positive identification.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
^ You just reminded me that I need to plant strawberries in the spring! I'm sick of buying them from the store.

I grow 3 types of blueberries, huckleberries, gooseberries, 2 types of goji berries, blackberries, 3 types of raspberries, honeyberries yet no strawberries. I'd like to try growing some pineberries too.
I'll have to research a few of those but they all good to have around.

I threw in these apple bananas a few years ago, I never water or tend to them put they finally are putting off. My area is really dry, I see small yields but when they come they are almost overly sweet. My friend ferts and waters his and quadruples my yield. lol

IMG_4214.JPG

IMG_4219.JPG

Vicious_Fish

MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
I'm not sure.I'll have to look it up and get a positive identification.
It's most likely a Mulberry Tree. They can be quite invasive and hard to kill. They get spread around from bird droppings and can survive in very poor soil and pop up in places like sidewalks, roadsides and along fences. I've actually cut down quite a few of them from my property and they always send up new suckers if you haven't killed the main tree stump.

Vicious_Fish

MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
I'll have to research a few of those but they all good to have around.
I see you're in Hawaii. Unfortunately I don't think many of the berry types I have listed would do well there because they need a proper chilling and dormant period to produce fruit.

Imsobored152

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Palm Bay, Fl
It's most likely a Mulberry Tree. They can be quite invasive and hard to kill. They get spread around from bird droppings and can survive in very poor soil and pop up in places like sidewalks, roadsides and along fences. I've actually cut down quite a few of them from my property and they always send up new suckers if you haven't killed the main tree stump.
Brazilian pepper trees are the worst for this. Big problem with these in Fl

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I have some awesome meadow mushrooms that grow up under the pine trees in my backyard. The first time I picked, cooked and ate them my wife thought I was crazy and going to die, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store