Please help identify this Earth Eater!

BrahumeAQ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2022
Geophagus Pellegrini or Geophagus Crassilabris?
080C5B1B-7C24-45F3-972D-36A11EBA7C98.jpegC5CB8EBC-111A-4A82-9808-6B60780DE2F1.jpeg668A5038-310D-47EB-AC04-49973B7B0A49.jpegF09C1480-0693-47DA-830D-ED6DC24471C7.jpeg
went to my LPS and had a tank full of red head topajos (labeled) and was looking through the tank and found two oddballs. I’m not sure how often this happens to you all, but almost every shop I go to has tanks full of fish labeled correctly, but if I look closer I always happen to find an oddball that somehow mistakenly (or not) slipped into the community. I ended up asking the employee who was working and he said he wasn’t sure what it was, and his best guess was some sort of apistograma (which I’m 99.9% certain it is not. The only eartheaters (in all the genus) I could find that was even relatively close to this guy was either the two aforementioned specifies… He is quite small at this point, but his coloring from the LPS to my tank has been consistent (as much as my memory will allow). Can any of you experts help identify. Nothing bothers me quite as much as owning a fish and not having a clue the species. Thanks!

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Geophagus Pellegrini or Geophagus Crassilabris?
View attachment 1501540View attachment 1501541View attachment 1501542View attachment 1501543
went to my LPS and had a tank full of red head topajos (labeled) and was looking through the tank and found two oddballs. I’m not sure how often this happens to you all, but almost every shop I go to has tanks full of fish labeled correctly, but if I look closer I always happen to find an oddball that somehow mistakenly (or not) slipped into the community. I ended up asking the employee who was working and he said he wasn’t sure what it was, and his best guess was some sort of apistograma (which I’m 99.9% certain it is not. The only eartheaters (in all the genus) I could find that was even relatively close to this guy was either the two aforementioned specifies… He is quite small at this point, but his coloring from the LPS to my tank has been consistent (as much as my memory will allow). Can any of you experts help identify. Nothing bothers me quite as much as owning a fish and not having a clue the species. Thanks!
The fish is too small and likely stressed to tell. There is very little to no chance of it being G. crassilabris, similar to the true G. surinamensis this species is very rarely ever exported.

It is likely G. steindachneri or pellegrini. For now I lean more towards pellegrini as steindachneri even when young display some spangling in the tail fin. Time will tell

BrahumeAQ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2022
The fish is too small and likely stressed to tell. There is very little to no chance of it being G. crassilabris, similar to the true G. surinamensis this species is very rarely ever exported.

It is likely G. steindachneri or pellegrini. For now I lean more towards pellegrini as steindachneri even when young display some spangling in the tail fin. Time will tell
I was leaving towards the Pellegrini as well, but am extremely green in the industry and even more so when speaking about earth eaters. The new geo will be my 4th species of geo, and was by far the most unique of the bunch (just base colorations and markings). Seems to me that you never really know what you get unless you buy from a reputable breeder.

The three others I have (or how they were labeled at my lps) are:
G. Surinamensis
G. Heckelli
G. Red head tapajo
And also a Biotodoma Cupido

Now I’m curious if any actually what they were labeled as… on the bright side I do know they all have unique coloring and markings! ?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
duanes duanes

Wills

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2022
I was leaving towards the Pellegrini as well, but am extremely green in the industry and even more so when speaking about earth eaters. The new geo will be my 4th species of geo, and was by far the most unique of the bunch (just base colorations and markings). Seems to me that you never really know what you get unless you buy from a reputable breeder.

The three others I have (or how they were labeled at my lps) are:
G. Surinamensis
G. Heckelli
G. Red head tapajo
And also a Biotodoma Cupido

Now I’m curious if any actually what they were labeled as… on the bright side I do know they all have unique coloring and markings! ?
I think the one you originally posted is Pelligrini, as said above if you'd bought Crassilabris you would know about it :)

In terms of the other Geos - G.Surinamensis is likely Altifrons or Dicrozoster as they are the most commonly sold Geos just under a type name of Surinamensis but due to gangs and politics in Surinam fish exports have been rare for a long time. the G. Heckelli in the picture is a Threadfin Acara as expected but its not a Geophagus its an Acaricthys Heckelli :) The Red Heads are pretty easy to spot, they have a unique profile and the tell tale red head plus a striped caudal fin.

Biotodoma are quite easy to ID, there are only a few species in the hobby Cupido and Waverni and the big visual distinguishing aspect is the location of the lateral line blotch, one has a blue tinge in the squiggles and the other green, but helpfully I can't remember which way round it is. You also get Cupido sp.Santarem which has quite a bit of red in the unpaired fins - really nice fish :)

Most of these fish are pretty gregarious within their own species so are usually best kept in groups of 4 or more of their own kind rather than a mix. Not sure how many of each you have?

Wills

BrahumeAQ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2022
I think the one you originally posted is Pelligrini, as said above if you'd bought Crassilabris you would know about it :)

In terms of the other Geos - G.Surinamensis is likely Altifrons or Dicrozoster as they are the most commonly sold Geos just under a type name of Surinamensis but due to gangs and politics in Surinam fish exports have been rare for a long time. the G. Heckelli in the picture is a Threadfin Acara as expected but its not a Geophagus its an Acaricthys Heckelli :) The Red Heads are pretty easy to spot, they have a unique profile and the tell tale red head plus a striped caudal fin.

Biotodoma are quite easy to ID, there are only a few species in the hobby Cupido and Waverni and the big visual distinguishing aspect is the location of the lateral line blotch, one has a blue tinge in the squiggles and the other green, but helpfully I can't remember which way round it is. You also get Cupido sp.Santarem which has quite a bit of red in the unpaired fins - really nice fish :)

Most of these fish are pretty gregarious within their own species so are usually best kept in groups of 4 or more of their own kind rather than a mix. Not sure how many of each you have?

Wills
I actually have four of each except for the suspected Pellegrini, that I only have the one since I was unsure of it’s identity and didn’t want to fork out cash for a species I was unsure of! That’s all such good information! Thank you! Is there a geophagus heckelli or is that a common misconception and all are acaricthys?

I am so thankful I found this site! I have only been in the hobby since last Christmas. All started because the fiancé wanted a beta fish. Nine months and 500 gallon worth of tanks later, fair to say I found a passion in it. My main business and passion before this was exotic plants (propagate and sell rare ones), and it’s crazy how similar and connected the plant and fish world are. Needless to say, I am a baby in the aquarist world and have so so much to learn but absolutely love it. Just discovered eartheaters a few months ago and have been trying to get decently versed on them. I absolutely love their personality and character in the water. Starting with geos… gymnogeos next… satanoperca after that and then not sure where to go… any recommendations..

And obviously you’ve been doing this, or know this subject well. What are your three favorite eartheaters?

Wills

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2022
I actually have four of each except for the suspected Pellegrini, that I only have the one since I was unsure of it’s identity and didn’t want to fork out cash for a species I was unsure of! That’s all such good information! Thank you! Is there a geophagus heckelli or is that a common misconception and all are acaricthys?

I am so thankful I found this site! I have only been in the hobby since last Christmas. All started because the fiancé wanted a beta fish. Nine months and 500 gallon worth of tanks later, fair to say I found a passion in it. My main business and passion before this was exotic plants (propagate and sell rare ones), and it’s crazy how similar and connected the plant and fish world are. Needless to say, I am a baby in the aquarist world and have so so much to learn but absolutely love it. Just discovered eartheaters a few months ago and have been trying to get decently versed on them. I absolutely love their personality and character in the water. Starting with geos… gymnogeos next… satanoperca after that and then not sure where to go… any recommendations..

And obviously you’ve been doing this, or know this subject well. What are your three favorite eartheaters?
Geophagus Heckelli is a misconception I think. I don't think they've been in that group before I think they were Acaraicthys after the Cichlasoma group was split up. It is a very addictive hobby (though not sure hobby does it justice - lifestyle maybe?). I had a group of Geophagus Winemilleri and a Threadfin for quite a long time, also had a group of Cupids for a few years. Gymnogeos are a bit different to the others due to the cooling period they need over winter, make sure you read up on that as its super super important.

If you are into your house plants as well, you should look into Riparian planting. Take some of your cuttings from things like Pothos, Monsterra, Peace Lillys and Philodendrons and clip them to the edge your tank or in a little planter at the surface and they will develop water roots. Fantastic nitrate sponges, much better than aquatic plants that mainly want to feed on ammonia. You just have to be careful with some plant eaters like Severums or Uaru as the roots can be toxic if they are nibbled. Though not 100% on the evidence for that, I think the concern comes from the fact some of them are toxic to humans and dogs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store