Pleco Dietary Thread

Zero46

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2007
So Cal
Great thread. Some questions though. Is there a specific type of squash to feed them? Is one type better than others? Also, should the skin be removed of left around the edge?

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
skins are fine... I don't know much about squash, but I'm sure it doesn't matter which.

Zero46

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2007
So Cal
I was just wondering about the squash because they have like 4 or 5 different types at the store. I bought yellow squash. One more question, when you guys talk about market shrimp, what exactly does that mean? (I'm assuming shrimp from the supermarket but wasn't sure). Thanks

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
All forms of squash are readily eaten, pumpkin works very well. Market shrimp is indeed shrimp from the supermarket. I generally buy the 61-70 size.

Bobears

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2007
Hoovering south of the ham
I've read you guys mention "leaves" a couple of times. Do you mean that I can walk outside, get a couple of dead leaves, clean and soak them, and put them in my tank for my plecos? Will that hurt my tank? I have 2 rubber lips and a clown.

gonnelro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
New Jersey
I know people feed their plecos assorted fruits, but I have just been feeding them spinach, romaine, and other lettuces, as well as algae wafers and whatever frozen food they get that I feed the other fish (brine shrimp, blood worms, prawns). Is that good enough? Is the lettuce enough roughage? And do you guys feed your plecos ruffage during the day, they only seem to eat mine at night, so I clip it to driftwood when the lights go out.

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
so cal nick;1934910;1934910 said:
i think u can buy waffers for the plecos
Which isn't the best thing to feed them everyday. That is what this thread was created for. Also, each species of plec has a different nutritional need, and those wafers don't cover all the plecs.

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Bobears;1428583;1428583 said:
I've read you guys mention "leaves" a couple of times. Do you mean that I can walk outside, get a couple of dead leaves, clean and soak them, and put them in my tank for my plecos? Will that hurt my tank? I have 2 rubber lips and a clown.
I wouldn't recommend it. Generally by leaves people are referring to lettuce or spinach leaves.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
WyldFya;1935447; said:
Which isn't the best thing to feed them everyday. That is what this thread was created for. Also, each species of plec has a different nutritional need, and those wafers don't cover all the plecs.
Not to mention some that are considered "algae wafers" have a particularly large amount of protein in them, and not so much in terms of roughage and veg. matter, so is always good to look on the ingrediants and compare them to different brands so you can make an informed choice depending on your pleco. But if you are feeding fresh or frozen foods, then you know what you are feeding them anyhow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store