Poly stocking advice needed

zimmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Thanks everyone! They're definitely going to need to go.

I'm just not into fish that will be sitting around all the time - no matter how cool they look.

Reactions: magpie

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017

I'm just not into fish that will be sitting around all the time - no matter how cool they look.
Shame your missing out. I keep lower and upper jaw species and I find the lower jaws so much more interesting and awesome. The senegal's are fascinating to watch when they are swimming around or mating but I prefer to watch my big monsters growing, getting around and just hanging out. To be fair though I would love a Delhezi but so rare here in Australia.....Upper jaws seem to be harder to get here other than ornates and sens.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington

Ive had an active del that mellowed out as it aged. Same with a sen. Wasnt nearly as active as it was when it was younger. Im not saying this is the rule tho just my experience. I also had a del that wasnt active at all.

Shame your missing out. I keep lower and upper jaw species and I find the lower jaws so much more interesting and awesome. The senegal's are fascinating to watch when they are swimming around or mating but I prefer to watch my big monsters growing, getting around and just hanging out. To be fair though I would love a Delhezi but so rare here in Australia.....Upper jaws seem to be harder to get here other than ornates and sens.
+1 id rather have beastly looking endli/congicus/lap that isnt active over an active uj all day long. Plus i dont think many people who are active now have kept both uj/Lj looks like most of the active members are keeping uj's and just dont know 1st hand experience on lj's

One of my congicus at 17ish inches is probably the most active poly ive ever kept. Sp.tinkisso at 18 inches was just as active as any del or sen that ive had.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I agree in that if I had the space I'd go LJ with some other fish in the column for the activity part. They are just so impressive and prehistoric looking. I'd pick and choose, though, and probably have a smaller number than others do here so I could do more species in the rest of the tank.

But I get others wanting a tank full of UJs, too.... they're fun. My Del was gorgeous (because I thought she looked more towards the LJ spectrum being WC) but she wasn't that active. She would go through spurts of swimming but mostly would sit around except at feeding time. My Polli especially but also the Teug moved a lot. The Sen did too when I had it. And the ropes.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
But I get others wanting a tank full of UJs, too.... they're fun. My Del was gorgeous (because I thought she looked more towards the LJ spectrum being WC) but she wasn't that active. She would go through spurts of swimming but mostly would sit around except at feeding time. My Polli especially but also the Teug moved a lot. The Sen did too when I had it. And the ropes.
Oh i agree and im not bashing uj's they are great too. Just seems like for most of us that migrate from uj to lj theres usually no turning back. Also i feel like if someone is researching fish and get the poly bug activity level alone is probably not the best characteristic to determine if the species is right for them.

Reactions: magpie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store