Poly stocking advice needed

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
"What is it about the ljs that you all love? What kind of interaction do you have with them"

Z zimmy uj's are great fish dont get me wrong. I think most people who have kept lower jaws will have different reasons for liking them. I like the size and head shapes. They trully do look like a mix of raptor and crocodile. Their finlets grow larger and taller giving them this spiked appearence.
Idk theres something impressive about a fish thats a thick as your wrist.

Reactions: DMD123 and magpie

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
+1 id rather have beastly looking endli/congicus/lap that isnt active over an active uj all day long. Plus i dont think many people who are active now have kept both uj/Lj looks like most of the active members are keeping uj's and just dont know 1st hand experience on lj's

One of my congicus at 17ish inches is probably the most active poly ive ever kept. Sp.tinkisso at 18 inches was just as active as any del or sen that ive had.
So true mate couldn't agree more. I find their activity level changes day by day. One day my endli will be a log next day his swimming everywhere just like a sen.

Oh i agree and im not bashing uj's they are great too. Just seems like for most of us that migrate from uj to lj theres usually no turning back. Also i feel like if someone is researching fish and get the poly bug activity level alone is probably not the best characteristic to determine if the species is right for them.
Agreed I started out with two upper jaw sens got my poly bug on and ended up with laps, endli and ornates also. As of right now my favorites are by far my laps and endli's. They are looking amazing so prehistoric and such amazing patterns. Once you go lower jaw you never go back lol. I also consider ornates lower jaw due to their large sizes and personality even though I know they are upper jaw(they just act like lower jaws). I have also bred a few baby sens im growing out :)

Reactions: magpie and jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
So true mate couldn't agree more. I find their activity level changes day by day. One day my endli will be a log next day his swimming everywhere just like a sen.

Agreed I started out with two upper jaw sens got my poly bug on and ended up with laps, endli and ornates also. As of right now my favorites are by far my laps and endli's. They are looking amazing so prehistoric and such amazing patterns. Once you go lower jaw you never go back lol. I also consider ornates lower jaw due to their large sizes and personality even though I know they are upper jaw(they just act like lower jaws). I have also bred a few baby sens im growing out :)
Yup it really cant be described they are just different.

Plus the longer you stick around here and the more you keep your tastes kind of change. I used not be into the whole LJ thing and i hated congicus but after seeing more variation in what other members where keeping and then getting a lap i was freakin hooked. Btw congicus turned into my favirote poly.

Reactions: DMD123 and magpie

Slayer2533

Piranha
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Yup it really cant be described they are just different.

Plus the longer you stick around here and the more you keep your tastes kind of change. I used not be into the whole LJ thing and i hated congicus but after seeing more variation in what other members where keeping and then getting a lap i was freakin hooked. Btw congicus turned into my favirote poly.
Yes your tastes can definitely change dramatically over time. My tank started its live as an aggressive america / south american cichlid tank with a couple of sens. Now it's an oddball heaven with a black ghost knife fish, snakehead gudgeon, long fin and short fin Australian eels, my lower jaws, just one one peaceful american cichlid (turquoise cichlid) and a school of silver dollars. I'm loving it. I wish I ever saw a congicus for sale here in Australia I would be all over it lol. I saw a Del online a few weeks ago but wasn't quick enough lol. Damn rare bichirs here!!!!

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Agreed that what appeals to me about LJs is how they look. Much more prehistoric, very much like dinosaurs/dragons.

Others say that having a fish that doesn't move much isn't appealing. To me personally, how they look not moving is enough to make me want them. :)

well the good thing is my overstocking will soon be a lot less. This weekend I'm picking up 6x 75 gallons and by mid march I will be setting up 1 more 75, another 60, another 55, a 20L, a 13 widescreen, and 11x 2.5g
Damn... that's a lot of tanks!
When are you getting your 300 for the fire eels and weeksii? ;)

Reactions: DMD123 and jaws7777

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Agreed that what appeals to me about LJs is how they look. Much more prehistoric, very much like dinosaurs/dragons.

Others say that having a fish that doesn't move much isn't appealing. To me personally, how they look not moving is enough to make me want them. :)

Damn... that's a lot of tanks!
When are you getting your 300 for the fire eels and weeksii? ;)
I'm working on it. I'm sharing tank space with a fish rescue so all those tanks are being donated along with a boat load of equipment once we go through all the equipment we are going to sell/trade anything we don't need and buy/trade for what we need which will include at least one massive tank. Luckily this place has room for 20-30 more tanks

Reactions: magpie

zimmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I returned the labradei and picked up a trio of wc retropinnis. They've moved around the tank in the 10 minutes they've been in it way more than I saw the labradei move in two days. So far they've been exploring the tank continuously whereas the labradei landed on a spot when I put them in and barely budged. It's still too early to say but I'm liking them so far.

Reactions: magpie

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I'm working on it. I'm sharing tank space with a fish rescue so all those tanks are being donated along with a boat load of equipment once we go through all the equipment we are going to sell/trade anything we don't need and buy/trade for what we need which will include at least one massive tank. Luckily this place has room for 20-30 more tanks
Geez you gotta post pics of the fish room. Sounds like allot of work and dedication man.

I returned the labradei and picked up a trio of wc retropinnis. They've moved around the tank in the 10 minutes they've been in it way more than I saw the labradei move in two days. So far they've been exploring the tank continuously whereas the labradei landed on a spot when I put them in and barely budged. It's still too early to say but I'm liking them so far.
Glad your happy i really like retros. Please post pics....many of them :)

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Yes your tastes can definitely change dramatically over time. My tank started its live as an aggressive america / south american cichlid tank with a couple of sens. Now it's an oddball heaven with a black ghost knife fish, snakehead gudgeon, long fin and short fin Australian eels, my lower jaws, just one one peaceful american cichlid (turquoise cichlid) and a school of silver dollars. I'm loving it. I wish I ever saw a congicus for sale here in Australia I would be all over it lol. I saw a Del online a few weeks ago but wasn't quick enough lol. Damn rare bichirs here!!!!
That sounds like a great tank!

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Geez you gotta post pics of the fish room. Sounds like allot of work and dedication man.
I'm doing it for a couple reasons I'm going to be breeding several types of bristlenose(I have 8 types), mystery snails(I have a couple thousand in every color), and fancy crayfish. I've developed a relationship with several LFS who will be buying from me also the person running the rescue is a pro at shipping and she will be handling any shipping I need. She had a betta get lost in the mail for 19 days then USPS returned it figuring it was dead since it was marked live fish, well it was alive and well. Since I'm disabled and receive disability I'll have an income that doesn't take up any of my time so I can get my business off the ground

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store